SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heartlostangel

My cat chewed my palm.. is that why?

Heartlostangel
10 years ago

She's getting brown fronds?

I bought Bella(parlor palm) last week and brought her home. She started to look dried out on a few fronds and her soil was compacted and not holding water at all, so I loosened it and repotted her in an effort to keep her properly hydrated(Only pot I had was the spa she's in). Before I repotted, she was sitting where she's at now and I thought maybe the grow bulb was too much light, so I put her down on a stand about 5 feet below the top of the cabinet. 3 minutes later I heard my cat chewing and turned around to find him munching on her. She was moved back up to save her from Chester the Molester's attention.

Is this normal? How do I remove the dried fronds properly(where should I snip?)- The stems are dried and brittle on some of the drier fronds, but not on all of the damaged ones.

Yes, it's dry winter air in here and a solid 70 degrees, I take Bella and the scheff to shower with me and leave them in the warm humid air for a half hour before they come back out to the lamp. Phil, Vi(olet), and the sansas all seem to be doing fine, as is Peter(my spider plant- I'm not terribly original with names LOL) with our normal late winter regimen.

Any more troubleshooting I should take? I've checked for spider mites and other bugs and found none. Should I rig up a plastic bag to increase the humidity around her? Isolate her? My bathroom light is usually on, but it's a normal florescent bulb in a frosted shade and there are no windows at all, should she be taking a vacation in there for a while?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert