SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yesohyes

Want: Hardy perennial edible and medicinal herbs

yesohyes
15 years ago

Here is my list. Feel free to contact me. The squash on my list was not hand pollinated so crosses are possible. It is also not harvested so may take a week or so at least. :)

I'm looking for any herbs hardy to zone 5 that can be used as medicine or food.. also open for other things but really just depends.

Have:

Herbs:

-Feverfew / Tanacetum parthenium - The great headache and migrainherb. Grows as a reseeding biennial or short lived perennial.

-Catnip / Nepeta cataria - Classic herb for cats. Also used as a gentle relaxant and good blended in herbal teas. Reseeding perennial.

-Great mullein / Verbascum thapsus - Weedy plant with wooly leaves. Leaves used for lung health as well as a common base for herbal smoking blends.

-Red clover / Trifolium pratense - Great biennial/perennial reseeding plant that bees and butterflies love. The flowers make a nice garden snack or can be dried as tea. Many medicinal uses.

-Corn poppy mix (reds and pinks) / Papaver rhoeas - From alan's poppy mix. Very tiny seeds. Petals used for tea and other things.

-Lemon balm / Melissa officinalis - Perennial with lemon scented

leaves. Great for tea. Used medicinally for its sedative and

antibacterial properties.

-Garden sage / Salvia officinalis - This is the thinner leafed type of

sage. Great plant to have around.

-Anise hyssop -

Food:

Siberian kale

Squash - [(Buttercup x unknown) x turban] f2/3 - F2 hybrid that grows as a mix of buttercup type squashes that also show ornamental qualities of turban. Some are mainly green, some yellow/orange.

Squash - White and yellow stripe mini-pumpkin from alan's small squash mix.

White scallop squash mix - two types, one wavy thick at the bottom and the other thick on top, shaped like a pot pie or something. I can also trade them seperately.

Other:

Nicotiana mutabilis - Wild brazillian tobacco just recently brought

into the seed trade. Bushy, alata like plants with flowers that change from white to pink to red.

Nicotiana rustica - One of the tobaccos grown by the native americans traditionally. Very high in nicotine. Useful as a pesticide.

Misc. collected through trades in the past two years

-Purple liatris

-Silybum marianum - Blessed milk thistle

-Verbascum chaixii

-Orange oriental poppy - Papaver orientalis

-Anasazi beans bought a couple years ago sold for cooking

Comments (2)

Sponsored