SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

worst mailorder trees ever

alan haigh
13 years ago

OK maybe not the worst, but I wanted an attention grabbing headline because I'm a bit annoyed. Just opened the box of 2 peaches and an apricot I ordered from a N. CA nursery that reps Dave Wilson.

Bad enough they are tiny, but even the meager root system that was dug up was drastically cut back- as if they don't feel roots matter. Didn't much like the trees coming to me headed back to 2' or less either but the box could have easily fit twice as much root.

I realize growing conditions sucked last season in CA and probably all DW trees were relatively dimunitive (contrasted to unusually large nursery trees from ACN after our warm dry last growing season). In fact the bundle of Satsuma plums I got from ACN were the only thing I got from that nursery that was grown by DW and they were quite small as well, but at least ACN didn't further reduce the root system and left me with more height to work with.

I didn't name the nursery because they are a small family owned business and I don't want to diss them quite that publicly but I'm sure some of you know who I'm talking about.

Comments (19)