SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Wild Jerusalem Cherry bush experiment

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

Hi. I've heard that Tomato bushes fruit, drop them, and let mold do the rest of the work.

I'm trying to test that fact on the Jerusalem Cherry since it's in the same family(even though it's not edible...at all). I have a specific plant pot completely dedicated to this plant. Already, it's producing and dropping fruit left and right, and some of the "cherries" are on the surface of the soil growing mold. I do have this contained.

It's a science experiment, conducted and assigned to me by me(AND also showing that I have completely gone mad when it comes to gardening...lol). The purpose of this experiment is to see how long the life cycle of a Jerusalem Cherry is, and how to speed it up(without artificial interaction--i.e harvesting the fruits, cleaning the seeds, etc).

Since I don't live in a warm climate where these things can grow wild, I'm trying to see what it's like as a wild plant. I do have a few worms in a container, thinking about adding them to the experiment. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advanced!

PS, I'll keep you guys posted about the results.

Comments (4)