SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackbnimble_gw

Too late to ship pomegranate & tree form or bush?

jackbnimble
16 years ago

I'm planning to order a pomegranate for zone 8b. I know I should have planned this months ago, but our apple tree just had to be cut down, and I really want to get something to replace it asap. Would prefer the new Angel Red and would like to be able to pick fruit before I die--i.e., I'm too impatient to wait for a tree to grow from a twig or to look nice in the landscape. Also, I'd prefer a tree form over bush. I've not been able to find anyone shipping larger tree form angel reds.

I called Willis a couple of days ago inquiring about the Angel Reds and whether they had any pruned in tree form. I was told poms are bushes, not trees, and do not do well pruned to tree form. I even asked if they had any that have been trained as trees and was told "no." They said they would be shipping for only another week.

Subsequently, I found their Sweet variety, offering an 8-10' "tree form" (179.95).

Now I'm confused and wondering how reliable Willis' information really is (despite all the praise posted in this forum). What am I not understanding here? They list tree form poms, and then tell me they don't!!

1. Does anyone have any experience with Willis' pomegranate TREES?

2. What can you experts here tell me about bush vs. tree poms?

3. Do you think it is too risky to order a pom for my zone now?

4. I notice Edible Landscaping offers 5 gal. Sweets for $65. Would that likely be 3-4' or 5-6' size, or what? And how difficult would it be to "train" one that size to tree form?

I would appreciate some advice soon, as the deadline for ordering from Willis is upon me.

A great forum, btw. I've been coming back here off and on for 2+ years for a wealth of information available; just never had an urgent need to register and post.

Thanks,

Jack

P.S. Remind me some time to share my recent, one-time experience with TyTy (thankfully did not order from them, though I had not at the time read this forum's warnings on them).

Comments (8)