SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

Boy/Girl Flowers and Cabbage

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

hiya!

i have a raised bed of cabbage and broccoli. so after about a month (june) of fearlessly fighting little green caterpillars, i swear i need a chiropracter! i thought i had gotten them under control, along with the help (i think) of a few wasps. so i eased up with my patrols, just a bit, to save my back and things were pretty quiet. i didn't even see the white butterfly like moths around.

fast forward to yesterday when i open the curtains to see a cloud of white moths all over my broccoli!! it was crazy! so i got back out there and picked off as many of those little white flecks as my back would allow before they turned into caterpillars.

then, i go to do my regular aphid check on my beautiful lil cabbages and what do i find??!!? - each and every one of the cute little heads practically have eaten!!! i'm heartbroken.

QUESTIONS:

- at this point should i just pull the cabbages out and start over for fall?

- what should i do? my zuc plants are gorgeous, but production is pitiful. i think its a pollination problem in that i don't get boy/girl flowers at the same time so it's practically impossible to hand pollinate. by the time one flower opens, the other has or is starting to shrivel up. i've only had 6 zuc's since i planted them as transplants on may 12 - 2 were either BER or pollination issues (don't think its BER because i've got tomatoes and bell peps in the same bed that are doing great), the 4 were harvested all within the last 7 days and no more than 4 inches long and half inch diameter. what do you think?

thanks for your help.

angela

Comments (9)