SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidwv_gw

Have a Freeze Watch Tonight - What can I do to protect my fruit?

davidwv
13 years ago

They have issued a Freeze Watch for tonight, which will more than likely be upgraded to a Freeze Warning, what can I do to try to save my fruit? We might even have another Frost or Freeze on Thursday morning too, but probably not as bad as tonight. This is the temperature information of the Freeze Watch.

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A FREEZE

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM EDT WEDNESDAY.

COLDER AIR IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO WEST VIRGINIA AND OHIO TONIGHT.

CLEARING AND DIMINISHING WIND WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO DROP TO

THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S BY SUNRISE WEDNESDAY."

My lone Peach tree and my two Pears have finished blooming and the apples are in various stages of bloom; ranging from say, 20% petal drop to full bloom. The blueberries are in full bloom, the grapes have shoots that are a few inches long

The only thing that I can think of is to spray everything with water in the morning before the sun hits them. Will this help?

Or, should I try to spray everything with water every couple of hours throughout the night? Could doing this do more harm than good? There is no way that I can set it up for an ice coating to envelope everything.

I have read about large scale orchards using smudge pots. I know this sounds stupid, but I have two kerosene heaters that I could place under my two most important trees. Would it just be a waste of time and effort to use them?

Thanks for the advice,

David

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz