SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A family houseplant story and thankyou!

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Lastnight was Al night with many family members and friends..It was like having our own class without the teacher in human form...lol

We were looking up articles and past posts here for the night. Fun..

My family members, some in their 70's, some very young, have never been able to grow anything for long except for vegis and annuals in containers. They have never been able to keep any kind of tropical plant alive for more than a year or two, especially my mom and uncle. Lol.

My father always used DIRT in his containers and wondered why his avacado trees would die every year!

My mom always uses MG potting soil, or some other bagged soil in her's, and would kill her houseplants over time, especially if in plastic pots!

My uncle, would take compost from his backyard specifically made for his outdoor ground plants, and incorporate this into his indoor plant containers, saying "I give them alot of food"...You wouldn't believe the KNATS and spidermites he had to deal with for years, not to say root rot!lol

What motivated them to want to have a forum/Al night?

Well,

We had a family gathering at my home the other day, and when I showed them all my plants I have, from citrus, to gardenias, to strange and exotic plants from Africa, to the deep Orient, gardenias, and many others, growing as happy as they could be, they all got jeaous! They all wanted answers..They asked lot's of questions..

They wanted to know what in the world I was doing different! I picked each plant up and showed them the soiless mix they were all planted in. Some in the 5.1.1 mix and some in the 1.1.1 gritty mix...They could't believe I even knew of the stuff. Some in SHOCK that I wasn't even using peat in some..I even showed the the fertilizer I use..lol

Funny thing, last year I had a big debtae with my uncle over the bagged soil thing, and peat moss, too much of it and the compaction thing, and he was ticked beyond belief. Said I didn't know what I was talking about, that he had been growing plants alot longer than me and had much more expereince..Yes, the very same man that couldn't keep much of anything alive in containers except seasonal stuff...Now he's convinced I have something here..lol

They commended me and said in all their years, they never thought I could grow such beauties through our cold long lack of sunlight winters..They want to spend time at my home all the time, surrounded by beauty they say.

My brother is going to show his wife how to make the 5.1.1. mix since some still feel the need to use peat. Every year they have to buy a new gardenia, because by the time spring approaches, he says that the peat mix they use seems to suffocate the roots by the following summer, not to mention the mites and the knats they have to fight all winter in their bed room...Here is the funny thing, he said that his wife is not a heavy water, in fact lets hers dry out completely. But shen she does, it can take up to two weeks before the soil dries out.

My other sister-in-law has been using the 5.1.1 mix in hers that I made, and that plant is thriving to this day..Planted in the same size pot, same kind of sunny window...

Lol, I am afraid if we all don't use the same technique or type soil with our plants, there is going to be a bit of squabbling and bit of war between them all..

Thought I would share my family expereince with all and show how much a soil debate and results can even effect an entire family!!

They are determined to try it my way, finally..:-)

Cheers to my soiless mix!!!

Thanks to the one that got me on the road to keepng the tropics in my home and the best kept soiless secret!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living