SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plant_keeper

Maple Aralias?!

plant_keeper
15 years ago

You know.. at the greenhouse I work at, we deal with a lot of aralias (mainly black, balfour, or ming) that come back from our accounts. It's basically a 'hospital' for any plants that come back and are in really bad shape, and are either almost dying and/or need very crucial maintenaince (repotting, fertilizing, possibly using horticultural insecticide).

Meat of the story.. We started getting in these big balfour aralias and we put them all together in a row in the middle of our back greenhouse.

I noticed that they were all VERY dry, as well as losing leaves, so I used 5-2-2 fish emulsion/seawead on them all. I know that aralias tend to like to be dry, but.. This soil felt like beach sand, even six inches down into the pot.

Okay, I get to work the next day.. after dealing with them and get settled in and stuff, and I go to our back greenhouse.. I started walking towards the rows of the aralias that came back, and I'm SWAMPED by a smell of maple syrup. To me, it smells like someone got a lot of maple syrup oatmeal, added very little water, and let it boil for too long. The smell was almost overwhelming.

In terms of ming aralias.. I haven't noticed this with any of these, even ones in bad shape.. Maybe it depends ona specific type of decay/disease.

So.. Did using the fish emulsion cause more root damage? I've smelled the smell very strong before, but after finally watering, it was overwhelming. I was hoping it was just something in their soil that could be flushed out.

Anyway, if the aralia's looking good (whether black, balfour, ming, etc.), keep it fairly dry for the most part?

The problem is, the greenhouse that I work in is basically like a plant 'hospital'. Trying to give plants that are going downhill a second chance. Problem is.. We have customers that sometimes want to come to this greenhouse and buy these plants at discount prices.

At this point, the whole greenhouse smells like fifteen gallons on maples syrup being stirred with a fan blowing the aroma into the air.

Uh, help? The plants look great, they just smell so strong. It's not that it's too much of an offensive smell, but if you haven't been in there for a day or too.. It really overpowers you. Thing is, these plants aren't in that bad of shape.. All foliage is good, soil is fairly dry.. It just smells so strong. what can I do?

Comments (5)