SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blaferby

saved heirloom seeds or bought seeds best?

blaferby
11 years ago

I'm hoping to get the opinions of experienced heirloom vegetable growers. I've been growing exclusively heirlooms in my vegetable garden for 3 years now and I find that some varieties do really well and others struggle or fail entirely. The ones that both grow well and are tasty I grow again the following season. What I've heard is that, by saving seeds from what I grow in the garden and using them in subsequent seasons, those plants will adapt to my specific garden and improve over the years. The problem is that the seed packets I originally buy usually come with enough seeds for several years worth of planting, and when they grow so well one year, my inclination is to use them again the next time to get the same good result. Would I be better off saving and using seeds from plants I actually grow (and that do particularly well) to get the aforementioned adaptation process going, or should I use up those I purchase because they already showed good results?

If I were to use my own saved seeds, is it best to save new seeds each year for the following year to continue strengthening the variety? (what I save are usually way more than I would use in one season)

Thanks

Comments (6)