SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echoedmyron_gw

Wilted cucumbers

echoedmyron
10 years ago

Have a two-fold cucumber problem. First, noticed recently that the leaves on my cucumber vines, which were otherwise very healthy and robust, and I'm already seeing large fruit growing (English cucumbers, which I know can be quite large, and while not fully mature I have at least three that are 5-8" long and thickening) were developing small white spots. After reading various forums and watching videos on youtube that showed similar plants, determined it was probably powdery mildew. We had very heavy rain earlier this week in Toronto, and the soil yesterday morning still seemed damp, and the air temp dropped, so I didn't water yesterday, which turned out to be a sunny day. I did however follow instructions elsewhere and spray a solution of water and baking soda on the leaves, with a touch of dish soap as a surfactant. (early in the am, before 8) and went to work. Got home after dark so only checked this morning. All the leaves are wilted! Soil quite dry, so I watered and have again gone to work, and am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Now wondering: are the plants salvageable? The sudden turn in the leaf health seems to me to be dehydration, not the mildew (although it could be a factor I suppose). I noticed that at least one of the larger cukes this morning felt slightly soft and not as rigid as it had been growing. Assuming the leave bounce back, what are the possible next steps? Should I prune weaker leaves and fruit? Should I harvest the largest cukes and hope that the plant directs energy back to the leaves and smaller ones? Is there any hope? Sorry I don't have pics to post, was in such a rush to get to work this morning I neglected to take any, and hope that the plant bounces back. It's another sunny day (although the air is much better, (high today of 82 [28c]).

Comments (6)