SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

'Dwarfed' fruit on pears

marknmt
16 years ago

Our local county extension agent is a horticulturist who discusses things horticultural on the radio and in the paper every week. This week she not so much answered a question as asked one, and I thought I would bring it to the board.

It concerns a number of very small pear fruit that were brought to her by different people last summer. Healthy trees were fully pollinated and set fruit happily, but the fruit never reached full size.

Fire blight and other diseases were ruled out on the bases of vascular health and simple visual observation.

The horticulturist suspected a calcium problem, caused not by a lack of calcium in the soil, but by irrigation problems during a particularly nasty hot spell -which is certainly plausible, but note she doesn't claim it's the case, just that it might be.

My pear took last year off all together and the pear I babysit seemed normal enough, so I have no personal experience here, and didn't see any of the specimens. But I thought somebody here might share their experiences.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your help.

Best,

M

Comments (4)