SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Vermifuges

eibren
11 years ago

With global warming, many will be encountering parasites that are new to them.

Additionally, there is a deer parasite which is endemic in the US which is apparently not yet acknowledged as being a threat to humans, but may well be. It is Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, well known to many in the agricultural veterinary field as the "meningeal worm", because at one stage of its life cycle an adult nematode can migrate to the brain and lay eggs there.

Deer are the natural host of Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, and it is claimed that it does not pose a risk to humans, but it is my suspicion that at least some of its stages may be able to infect humans, and willing to do so in the absence of its preferred hosts (deer and other ungulates, such as moose, goats, sheep, and alpacas). One internet source claims it has been successfully used to infect guinea pigs.

There is an internet phenomenon called "Morgellon's syndrome" which numerous individuals are claimed to have, which is usually passed off by the scientific community as being a psychological complaint. In that syndrome, people frequently claim to have fibers coming out of their skin.

I am aware of at least one instance in which a human was unwittingly exposed for several hours to a massive number of adult nematodes which had infested a jacket vest in a car in which raw, untreated alpaca fleece had been overwintered. That individual now has experienced many of the symptoms that alpacas and other hosts go through with a "meningeal worm" infestation--including filamentaceous nematodes coming out of their skin, apparently from "blackheads" that are hot pink in color.

Additionally, many are unknowingly exposed to hookworm and other parasites while gardening, especially if they live in an area where pets are allowed to roam freely and defecate where they wish.

Since gardeners seem to be at heightened risk from parasites, I feel it would be useful to have a thread devoted to the subject of herbal and other vermifuge treatments. A veterinarian recently informed me that she was aware of many instances of human sufferers of conditions labelled as "fibromyalgia", "psoriasis", etc. were finally identified as suffering from parasitic infections, treated for same, and at long last found relief from their ailments.

I feel that a thread like this is especially needed now, because it appears that the allopathic physicians in this country have been dropping the ball on parasite treatment, especially in the case of infections with such parasites as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, which are frightening enough to affect land and recreational values, and threaten tax revenues from vacationers and land taxes. Additionally, even environmentalists might be found to be willing to conceal the risks of parasite infestation from vegetable patches and berry picking in low lying, swampy areas where the snails exist that can complete, for example, the life cycles of a parasite such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis.

The only herbal vermifuge I am personally acquainted with is garlic, which seems to have some potential. Are there others that are safe, effective, and reliable? I am hoping this thread will provide a useful repository for any information those posting in this forum have on this subject.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions