SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherribaby_gw

Garden Full of Bugs. Overall cure?

sherribaby
17 years ago

Not sure if I need to vent or if I'm looking for suggestions. Probably both. It seems that I've got every bug known to man in my veggie garden. And every disease too. UGH I just realized that I have a problem with squash vine borers too. Not sure how I missed that one. I saw that damned wasp looking adult moth a couple weeks ago and thought 'hmm i've never seen a wasp that looks like that'. Not a clue. Today I'm reading this forum and it hit me over the head...that was the adult svb and THAT is why my zucchini looks mangled like it does where it comes out of the ground. Thank God for google images or it still wouldn't have dawned on me!

Now what do I do?? Ok, here's what I have going on in the garden. I'll list the bugs. Unfortunately I could spend all day long on the computer finding remedies that may or may not work. And each pest has a different solution. I want one magic spray that is organic and will kill and prevent all harmful bugs. That would be nice.

To date I've seen or know that I have:

squash vine borer (zucchini, winter squash - can't see any entry but the base of vines are getting mangled like photos from google images)

striped cucumber beetle (cantaloupe, zucchini and cukes - they have only been here for about 3-4 days, I tried the homemade clove oil experiment as posted on that thread but didn't catch anything)

cabbage worm (brussel sprouts - i was planning on trying the flour/salt mixture)

whiteflies (not sure what they do but i've seen them flying)

flea beetles (everywhere - don't think they've done a lot of damage but they've certainly done some and there are a ton of them)

A little advice please. I've been handpicking the cabbage worms, I set out clove oil traps for the cuke beetles, I have no clue what to do about svb- my plants are still producing rather well but if my cukes start to go to hell i am going to be really really upset - I haven't done anything for flea beetles.

Well, I guess that's not every bug known to man but it's certainly more than I care to have! I also am combatting disease issues with my tomatoes and peppers.

So what do I do to rid myself of these guys as soon as possible??

Thanks for your help!!

Sherri

Comments (29)