SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barberberryfarm

Terminal Buds on Blackberries

barberberryfarm
14 years ago

I'm always researching better ways on how and when to prune blackberries and found out some interesting news about terminal buds and a plant hormore called auxin. From what I could find, it appears auxin, which is present in the terminal bud, controls (1) how the primocame grows, (2) its ability to suppress developing lateral buds on the cane from growing, (3) when to convert the initial vegetative buds formed on the cane to flowering buds, as well as a lot more. That's why, for example, when you want the primocane to start branching out, you cut off its head (i.e., the terminal bud). Following that logic, I'm guessing a terminal bud will form on each resulting lateral, which will control the development of the respective vegetative buds its responsible for. With regards to the conversion of vegetative buds to flowering buds, from what I can tell that process on most varieties happens during the September-October time frame. If that is true, then ideally I wouldn't want to cut the laterals' terminal buds off until after that process has completed and the plants have gone completely dormant. I guess my question is to the folks that better understand the process, is my understanding correct?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting