SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardain

Cucumbers smell and taste of chemicals...

Gardain
12 years ago

Hello all!! Im glad to have found this very knowledgeable website for gardeners like myself! Didnt really need help till I have come to this problem with my cucumbers as their is no information I can find on the web about it.

I have a Burpee bush burpless cucumber plant in a 12 gallon container on my sunny deck. It is now producing like crazy. When I picked my first cucumber from it about week ago, it had a small but notciable chemical taste. Tonight, my wife came to me after cleaning and peeling another one and asked me if it smelled funny. I said why yes it does! She then cut me a piece to try and sure enough! It tasted/smelled like chemicals even more than the first!! YUCK! We had to throw it away. I hated doing that as the cucumber is my favorite vegie from the garden. I hope the others wont taste/smell that way.

What could cause this? I used potting soil when I planted. I have used Natria 3 way insectecide by Bayer one time. When that didnt work on the pests I sprayed Sven on the plants once. About 3 weeks inbetween spraying. I also use Miracle Grow on them as well every 7 or so days. Any help would be appreciated as I have never ran into this problem!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022