SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellykellykelly_gw

Cucumber - Yellow/Brown Leaves

9 years ago

Hello! This is my very first time posting in this forum.

I've been conducting an exhaustive online search (including many posts on this very website) to try to discern what the heck is going on with my poor little cucumbers. I decided that rather than guess and conjecture, I should offer it to the experts for their advice! The vital stats:
- Growing in the Bay Area (Oakland), with moderate (though a bit warm for us lately) temps
- Directly seeded into container in April
- Got first cuke (which was a total beauty!) in early May
- Water daily, though not a huge dousing
- I have another cucumber plant, of a different variety, that is doing just fine. Planted at the same time.

Photos of the plant are attached - as you can see, bottom leaves are turning yellow, then eventually brown and dried out. I pull the dry leaves, and there's water in the stems (not the goop that I hear might come out if they're suffering from verticillium rot).

Here is what my research has turned up:
- Could be a lack of nitrogen. I fed a balanced NPK fertilizer (EB Stone Vegetable Food) one week ago. No improvement yet, and yellowing has progressed.
- Could be too sunny of a spot. I moved a week ago. No improvement, and yellowing has progressed.
- Could be verticillium rot. Though I didn't see any sludge when I pulled off a dying leaf, so maybe not.
- Could be too much water. I've tried to cut back, but the brown spots make me nervous. Also, note that they're planted in a container, and when I water them water immediately runs out from the bottom of the container - it seems to just be running through.
- This is my own conjecture, but could it be that I planted them too early, and they're just dying back already? I've gotten 3 good cucumbers off of the plant, so it doesn't seem likely, but I'm running out of ideas.
- Finally, could it be that they were inappropriate to plant in a container? I just didn't have space in my in-ground garden when I thought it was time to plant - maybe that's my fault.

Any thoughts or ideas you might be able to share would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you experts!

Kelly

Comments (8)