SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svenna_gw

Vegetables Suitable For A College Dorm?

svenna
16 years ago

Hello. I live in a dormitory and thus cannot have an outdoor garden. However, I would love to grow some veggies in my little room. My windowsill does not get direct sunlight at all. I looked at a map and the window faces north-north-east, so that may be an explanation. Anyway, I have the room here to put some plants (a large table that is not used to anything) and would like some tasty veggies.

However, I'm a broke college student and getting a grow-light is not too much of an option. They're too expensive for my budget and probably would not pass room inspection. I do have a bright flourescent overhead light in the room which is on whenever I am awake (usually 14-18 hours per day). I could also put some plants in the bathroom if they required more intense light, as the lights in there are ridiculously bright flourescent lights, and there are two of them in a tiny little bathroom. Any bathroom plants would have to have a small pot (no larger than 12-18" in diameter) to be able to fit between the sinks). I guess maybe a plant that grew upwards instead of horizontally? It could not get too tall, though, as it would be indoors. A height of 3 or 4 feet at the absolute maximum.

Plants in the bedroom could have more horizontal space, but I still would prefer to have more than one or two plants, so anything that conserves ground space and grows upwards would probably be best.

All in all, I guess I need plants that can have a smallish ground area and grow upwards and do not require tons of lighting.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (32)