SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eireanne

New herbalist

EireannE
19 years ago

Hi all, I'm getting my first opportunity to start a medicinal garden of my own and I'd like your advice. What should I plant? I have some ideas of my own already (not enough for a full garden mind you) but I thought it would be a good exorcise to see what you came up with. :-)

P.S. Specific needs: cooking for health and energy, male virility, physical injuries, systemic cleansing, don't be afraid to throw in some psychotropics - salvia D. is already in there (but keep it legal please), muscle aches (from working hard in the garden!), other basics. Climate's not an issue as a green house will supplement.

Comments (43)

• lifestarter
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

welcome irie,

i may have some goldenseal
    and echinecea seeds eventually to share.

as far as male virility i know Hot Sauce Or Cocoa-Products get me going.

I see no problem in talking freely
    of salvia divinorum here or anywhere
    else as it is/should remain legal worldwide.
    i have not found ANY effects
    in smoking dry leaf
    pleasant enough to try more than twice.
    Although many reports prove me wrong
    and many places sell a refined
    standardized extract which also
    had nil effect when applied to
    the dry leaf matter i harvested.
    (the supposed most potent way of consumption)

I have been looking for another
    cut of divinorum. I truly loved
    growing the divine Sage and would love to
    trade up as soon as I hit last frost z6.

Cheers
    LS

i for one will be watching this thread closely. ;)

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

GS and Ech are great ideas, thanks. I'd be well up for a trade some time in the future. I live in dublin though (hence the name Eireann). Here are some links to Salvia D pages ( http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia.shtml - http://www.salvia-divinorum.nl/USING.HTM ). Turely a wonderful, and mystical healing plant; not for everybody, but for those intrepid few well worth the adventure. Sounds like your experiences were a little different from mine to say the least. Tip: You really have to burn the leaeves very hot to release the active ingredients, or beter yet roll fresh leaves into a packet and very slowly chew them over the course of 1/2 an hour.

I'll be having a whole range of sages in my garden besides this one. I've always loved it as a cooking ingredient and know that it has many anscillary helth benefits.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else have any ideas for a list of traditional herbs. What would you put in your dream garden? I'm very interested in old traditional remidial herbalism (the older the tradition the better. I'm here to learn) Doesn't have to be as serious as salvia (belladonna's in my list though, more for show than anything else).

LS, let me know what you'd like to trade for, if I get it and manage to grow I'll send some on to you.

• Related Discussions

good self care empowers

Q

Comments (15)
    Earlier in this thread we heard the following sweeping denunciation of physicians: "modern doctors are essentially paid lobbyists for Big Pharma. they receive $ and perks to promote certain drugs." While this is untrue for the vast majority of physicians, it's fair game to point out ethical lapses wherever they occur. For instance, in alternative medicine where leading proponents of herbalism and supplement use have made fortunes while selling their own products (Joe Mercola, for example). And do you know for sure that your own herbalist isn't shilling for a supplement dealer? One of the biggest marketers, Nature's Sunshine Products, is pushing a free herbalist training course. What a great deal! Where it pays off for NSP is that they build up a stable of "herbalists" who are committed to prescribing their products. In return, the "herbalists" get financial incentives after attending the "Natural Health School" and going out into "practice". First you become an NSP member. "Step Two: If you haven't already, visit our Natural Health School, our FREE herbalist training course, where you can complete all of our herbal studies online. Add it to your favorites because you will want to visit this site again and again. Step Three: Begin the self-paced Leadership Training by clicking here. NSP Membership Benefits Purchase products at wholesale cost (save 33% or more off retail on the best nutritional products available). Receive rebates of up to 30% on your own purchases. Receive up to 40% bonuses on the product purchases of those you sponsor. Receive industry-leading commissions and overrides. Choose from over 500 quality products to meet the health needs of your customers and those you love. As a Member, you will also receive special offers, product discounts and company publications. You will be able to attend educational and fun NSP-sponsored seminars and events." Hmm...wonder whether those new herbalists will be selecting treatments for their clients based on what's best for them - or making decisions guided by the rebates and bonuses they can expect from NSP? If physicians got their education for free from drug companies and sold company drugs to patients in return for rebates, bonuses and commissions, there'd be a huge public outcry and they'd lose their licenses. But in the wild, wooly and unregulated world of alt med, this stuff is tolerated. Moral of the story - be very careful (online and in real life) of people who pitch themselves as experts (but whose training and expertise cannot be verified). Demand good evidence for the treatments they want you to use. Don't settle for "Trust me, I'm a doctor/herbalist/homeopath". That's real empowerment. Here is a link that might be useful: NSP and their herbalists
    ...See More

just a little idea for us herbalists......

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi I usually hang out in the brugmansia forum. Very toxic plant roflmao. This is the second time I am trying to get into herbs on GW to find out how things are here in the USA. After reading the 1st 3 threads....I am ready to go to DG. I do not understand why people who love and use herbs as alternative medicine are being put down like this. I was deadly ill while living in germany 4 years ago. Doctors had NO clue what was wrong with me. I went the alternative medicine route and thanks to combined things I got rid of lots of crippling and cronic illnesses. There ARE folks out there who would love to learn more about herbs without having controvercies going on about each little herb. Unless you are a teenager trying to get high, we are all adults and can make up our minds what we want to do with herbs. Or? Sorry. But like someone mentioned on this thread...it started out SO BEAUTIFULLY! Lucy
    ...See More

Burying Bad Cancer News

Q

Comments (7)
    Eric as usual You can't read what you don't want to know (Must be a mental block) They definately were'nt saying that discussion was going on about cancer trials, they were saying pubmed and other prominate medical instutions were being led around by the preverbial nose by the research done by drug companies. Which you have been denying outrageously. You have said repeatedly that drug companies are angels with halos on. Are you being led around by the nose or are you (like i suspect) one of the drug company lackeys. You sure sound like one. You also denied that Federal goverment needed to ever intervene in the Medical industry as they monitered them selves. Yeah right-NOT! Oh yes the banking industry said they did'nt need monitering. yeah boy! They did it themselves. Same song. right? At least the banking industry did'nt kill any one like the medical industry does As in the 100 million people killed each year by medical mistakes and neglect. These deaths come in third after heart related deaths and cancer deaths. Which we are now learning could have been partially prevented by honest research. Can't deny it eric. facts are facts no matter how much you deny it and scoot arond the issue. Use herbs with wisdom. Know what you are taking, With prescription medicine as well as with herbal medicine. Google what you take. Know the side affects. What the meds do. What they intract with. The life you save may be your own. Don't trust a doctor to know. THEY DON'T. Don't trust people on here either. Find out yourself. When you hear people on here using big words and important sounding garbage. Remember the banking industry loved to hear themselves speak important sounding garbage and that is exactly what it was-garbage. Are the medical people any different. Might be time to educate yourself as much as possible.
    ...See More

New Arbor Needs a Rose!

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm in 7B in Atlanta, where BS and mildew can be problems, but ZD does fine...Very strong damask fragrance...I interplant garlic and chives, which seems to stop BS, and a potted rose geranium (any kind) nearby can protect from Japanese beetles, as well as flinging them into soapy water...Even if it does get some BS, it still does fine, with many blossoms, which we herbalists like to tincture or infuse in honeys or glycerites....If you give it a top or side dressing of compost after the first bloom, the fall bloom is stronger, unless the shade is already pretty strong....
    ...See More
  • rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

"...I thought it would be a good exorcise to see what you came up with."

Mandrake, for starters (autumn mandrake propagates readily by seed).

More good ideas for garden exorcism at this site.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! The theme gardens are a hoot! Thanks for the link EricOh. What is mandrake good for? Or is it just a narcotic?

• kevin_nsw
    19 years ago

Here are a few basic herbs that I take every day,and there are plenty of others on the same site for you to look at.

Mine are... Bramhi,Gotu Kola,Indian Ginseng,Herb Robert,True Dandelion.

Brahmi,Gotu Kola and Herb Robert have the biggest impact on my health.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/newpages/book/sample/sample29.html

Look for the other herbs I mention in the index.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks kevin, another instant entry into my favorites! Sounds like Bramhi treats everything (no wonder it's called bramhi). Look like it will grow well here too. I'd be interested to know how you take your herbs. I thought I'd like to have some Korean red ginsen, but would you recommend indian instead? I already have loads of dandelion! :D

Thanks again, anyone else?

• marie_in_wa
    19 years ago

The must have plants for me:
    Chamomile (relaxent)
    Ginger (stimulant, also good to use to help "burn" sickness out of your body)
    Pepermint (some say stimulant, some say relaxant. if nothing else, helps flavor those "icky" herbs)
    horehound (good for coughs)
    rosemary (muscle relaxant)
    Lavender (steep in grapseed oil and rub on temples for headaches)

Others you might try:
    Valarian (muscle relaxant)
    Comfrey (good for bruises, sprains and torn ligaments - to be used as a topical rather than internally)
    Calendula (burns, bruises and bug bits. Also an antiseptic. again use topically)
    Red Clover (blood purifyer)
    Alfalfa (blood and kidny cleanser)

I'm sure there are more, but it's been a long time since I've had to drudge my memory for such things :)

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

I am growing mandrake for the magical powers alone.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this website, but it has interesting information on mandrake.

I have two dogs to "help out" in the mandrake harvest.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeah lifestarter, I just read that same story in the link in eric's post (btw thanks eric, good link). I think the idea that ANY of these herbs, medicinal or otherwise, should be used without a full understanding of the dangers and doses is a very bad one indeed. Sounds like the mandrake probably relies on a secondary ingredient though to function properly as a shamanic drug, but (correct me if I'm wrong Eric) the magical implications aren't entirely centred around the actual ingesting of mandrake. This is one of the things I like so much about plants, herbs and fungi. Our relationship with them is such that we use plants as a kind of metaphoric language of belief, and that our beliefs are likewise derived from plants. Take Amanita, a red and white coated spirit guide that appears biefly in the forest during the winter solstice. Sound familliar? Good luck to you on your magiks eric, Slnte!

Marie, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. My mother used to use Marigolds on me as a child for sun burns and such, and I know she uses Lavender for migraines. Peppermint, rosemary, and alfalfa are perfect examples of what I was talking about regarding our shared history with medicinal plants. Been 'round for ages (rosemary for example is used as a talisman of rememberance for time and memorial, and also as a disinfectant. It was rubbed into meats ot help them keep, which is why we use it today as a companion to steak, lamb, and pork). That's a great list, thanks. And all very good looking plants as well.

LS, I just found a resource for another plant I'd very much like to grow which you might be interested in. Banisteriopsis Caapi http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/product_info.php?products_id=286 I know you can get it already cut in a multitude of places, but this is the only place I've seen where you can get rooted specimens.

By the way, speaking of rooting, another must have is willow. Of course a great anticoagulant and deep muscle pain reliever, but most importantly useful for rooting. Checkout my post in the organic rose thread - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesorg/msg0720433521555.html?23

Keep em coming! This is fun. And I need plenty more before I can fill my garden.

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

The reference to dogs and the mandrake harvest stems from the legend about the dangers of pulling up a plant (it's supposed to be fatal to the harvester). The directions for safe harvest involve tying a dog to the plant. The dog moves away, uprooting the mandrake -- which then lets out a shriek and the dog dies. I have already transplanted my seedlings safely so I am going to leave the dogs out of the equation.

I am content to enjoy certain plants for their historical value alone.

Another that is in flower currently in my light garden is Withania somnifera, an Ayurvedic herb. It is reputed to cure or treat a ton of things, according to one site I checked:

Medicinal Uses: According to Ayurveda, the root is bitter, acrid, heating, aphrodisiac, tonic, alternative, anthelmintic and useful in treatment of inflammations, psoriasis, bronchitis, asthma, consumption, ulcers, scabies, marasmus of children, insomnia, senile debility etc. According to Unani system of medicine, the root is bitter, tonic, aphrodisiac, emmenagogue, good in asthma, inflammations, leucoderma, bronchitis, lumbago, thirst etc.

Major Alkaloids: Somniferine, somnine, somniferinine, withananine, pseudo-withanine, tropino, pseudotropine, choline, cuscohygrine, isolettetierine, anaferine, anahydrine, 3-alpha-gloyloxy tropane, etc.

As clinical trials seem to be lacking, I think I'll let others "experiment" with this one too. The flowers aren't much, but the seed capsules are supposed to be interesting.

I think your plan to grow a variety of sages is a good one. If nothing else, sages are a tonic to the spirit.

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

I too can not imagine life without my german and french chamomile to help my tumtum at nights. One of the few things i have grown non-stop 24/7 for a decade.

eire, just phoned a friend and he says,
    "look into kratom.
    grow it, and you will be happy you did."
    from the things he was buzzin about on the telephone it sounds right up your alley.

now that i think about it..
    i usually keep aloe, chamomile, peppers, year round for "medicinal" use, not many "herbs" i can't cook with daily as space is an issue. Usually have the green basil and purple leafed variety going as well as cilantro etc. but this list will be saved for culinary forums. I like the theme gardens too and so far "herbalism" holds my interest better than houseplants or giant vegetables if that says much. Another favorite forum of mine to cruise is edible landscape and japanese gardens though i will always love container vegetables and fruit. AND BARREL BERRIES!
    ps: my friend also mentioned sacred lotus though i am unsure of the legality and doubt you have the correct setup to dive in (no pun intended). It is said to be an ancient egyptian flower (or something) that does nothing if taken alone but in conjunction with other alkaloids can create pleasant to intense states of euphoria. Tread lightly as this may or may not be legal, i have no experience in it but hear even certain everyday foods can trigger the effects after ingesting this lotus so....

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

bbb is a wise choice.
    also check out
    shamanspalace.com

both sites have great link lists as well

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kratom sounds a bit like khat or coca leaves. I used to chew coca quite a bit, glad I don't anymore. Think I'll stay away from that one too, but thanks for the suggestion. Sacred Blue lotus is a kind of a mystery drug and is definitely not illegal where I live. Some say it is a sexual stimulant, others have grouped it with ergot. I think the difference of opinion stems from one side of the argument being practicing enthobotanists, and the other being more anthropologically focused historians. Either way you're right about one thing, I don't want to get involved in a water feature. I have tried it though at a smart shop the last time I was over in Amsterdam and the mix they used there was something akin to a very mild ecstasy. It was in fact quite nice, but I saw very little purpose other than a mild euphoric feeling to taking it.

I'm ashamed to admit, I don't know what barrel berries are but I imagine the name is pretty descriptive. Semi edible landscape is what I'm aiming for in my garden. You could call my theme "Edible plants and spiritual landscapes" with a heavy bent of herbaceous healers for the apothecary in me. So, don't hold back on listing your favourite non-vegetables.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

P.S. The consensus (so much of it as there is) today is that the egyptians made a fermented wine with the lotus, or a tincture in beer.

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

Chewing Coca leaves?!?!
    that sounds like a BIT too hardcore fore these old bones.
    smoking kratom sounds a bit milder according to my buddy.
    the effects he claims are strikingly similiar to that of Ganga and lean further away from opium. as stated above all are to be considered narcotics and potentially dangerous/illegal.

I am in no way advocating the cultivation of any plant purely for the purpose of mystical properties nor have i propagated these plants in said manner. I will shoot you an email later on about the ECH AND GS seeds, the salvia cutting will not work out overseas. I can not wait to return to ireland the place of my roots.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"Chewing Coca leaves?!?!
    that sounds like a BIT too hardcore fore these old bones."

Actually it's far less intense than the old cocaine which is extracted from them. Chewing is the ancient practice that a lot of the old Indians in central and south america still use. That's where I picked it up from. I lived in Costa Rica for a while. I'd just like to mention that I've only ever tried refined cocaine once, and it's a far different experience. Now-a-days, I wouldn't advocate either practice (both equally addictive). But here we are talking about drugs, there's more to life than that. I definitely advocate mystical properties in plants, but not so much recreational anymore. I want a garden that will help people (including me) and be enjoyable at the same time.

By the way if anyone has any suggestions for good traditional Celtic herbs that would be another goodline of exploration. Ex: ragwort, said to be the fairies favorite mode of transportation and where leprechauns bury their treasure (though I don't know what medicinal purpose it serves).

• herbalbetty
    19 years ago

"A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year", by Ellen Evert Hopman is a pretty good book for Celtic Herbs. For instance, for the spring equinox (Mean Earraigh) she recommends: celandine, cinquefoil, dandelion, dogwood, rose and tansy (among others). She gives the herbal and magical uses of the herbs. She also discusses Celtic folklore. I am particularly fond of herbal folklore!

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

the single entheogen type plant i want for my garden this year aside from Salvia Divinorum is Nicotiana Rustica which i've had on my want list to no avail. It is true that this was grown by most Native American Indian tribes in one form or another for all of time. I would be using this plant specifically as a pesticide and hopefully it can prove useful as an appetite reducer.

(NICOTINE IS A SUPER BUG-OFF!!!
    GREAT COMPANION PLANT TOO!!!)

Anyone know of an acceptable smoke that will cause coughing? An expectorant?
    I may start a new thread as I have a friend who is crippled with MS and may benefit from something with little or no effects on the digestive system (as vomiting=death in her case).
    As a side note it was Basil that brought her closest to recovery for anyone who cares about natural medical miracles.
    I will have a full write up in here in a week or so to share once i visit and get an update of her condition. So far she's at the end of her ropes. this is futile. but the basil did help.

• kevin_nsw
    19 years ago

It seems that many in this world are still obsessed by having a mind altering experience,as if this will lead them to some kind of enlightenment.

This is what many in the dark ages thought,and looked to whiches and druids who supposedly had enlightenment through their potions that gave this kind of experience.

I have experieced "highs" from plants or alcohol,but mind altering herbs or drugs dont teach us mental enlightenment through VALUES of enlightenment,that lead to a happy life with meaningful experiences and loving relationships,that are far better than any drug or herb "buzz".

They dont teach us what forgiveness really is,or how to change your self perception...that we can undo the mental rubbish we where taught when we were young and change ourselves to be the person we want to be,one that is on a higher plane of enlightenment because of higher values that are not generally seen because of an obsession that we are what we are because we are only physical beings only.

This has changed,and now we see many books on how to have a better life through MENTAL enlightenment,not the blind drug induced stupor that the whiches and druids said would lead to enlightenment.

All this takes mental SKILLS that have to be LEARNT,not something that will happen instantly by one,or many, mind altering experiences.

They change the chemicals in our brains,or put some there to experience something,but they dont teach us life skills and the buzz of a life full of love... or at least put us on the path to try and get that.

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! A bevy of new posts.

herbalbetty - Thanks for the recommendation, I've taken a look at this book and it seems to be very in depth and interesting. I too am interested in the folklore of these plants though I'm not very well educated in it. This book sounds like a great first step towards learning more about it. Thanks again, and thanks for the herbal recommendations (any info on what they treat/benefits?).

LS - I've had Nicotina Rustica, with American Indians. It is an interesting, experience. A bit like having poor circulation, with palpitations. I didn't know that it was an insect repellent, but that makes a lot of sense. I understand mallow is as well. As for the expectorant, I know from practicing Taoist healing and martial arts that Ma Huang is an expectorant, though you don't smoke it.

Kevin - Very good points. Values are derived from psychological/social sources, and simply taking a drug is not going to provide you with guidance. However, I would argue that the values that our societies around the world are based on are externalised aspects of our own basic, collective, psyche. Many enthogenic drugs are direct pathways to unlocking this portion of the psyche which is for the most part subconscious. Once accessed this portion of your own psychological landscape will expose the mental traveller to experiences that they are forced to learn from. In this way mental skills can be developed, and the exposure to a wider range of experience allows for a broader depth of vision when dealing with life situations. It becomes easier to see the other influences and points of view of all involved, thus giving a more rounded and wisER outlook than before.

But that is by far only a fraction of the story. These keys are a shortcut, and like all shortcuts they leave out the most important aspects of the journey, or even lead to the wrong place entirely. True shamanic tradition holds that in order to become a fully fledged master shaman, one must access these alternate psychological experiences at will and without the aid of any additional substances. This of course requires a great deal of practice and guided training in the mental arts, as well as certain perceptual, attitudinal, and value adjustments (all primarily for the better). Love and loving kindness (which of course includes forgiveness) are essential ingredients to the Way, and without these innate human values, the aspiring shaman is in real danger of falling victim to the ravages of their own psyche.

A good illustrative allegory that I have been taught is that the shaman and the recreational drug user move about in the same waters, but only the shaman knows how to swim. As for mental enlightenment, well it just isn't truly possible without direct experience. Conceptual thought is a wonderful thing, but even the most intelligent person in the world will never understand what it is to see a higher plane of existence. The shaman does, because they have been there. And yes it is within their head, just as all higher ideals and metaphors are. They are all expressions of our psyche. As the Vedic scriptures say, all the gods and demons are within. But, as you say, the mere taking of mind altering substances won't teach you this if you haven't been prepared for it already. This is why so many people abuse drugs in the first place, they haven't been encouraged to develop the value of reverence, and so are irreverent to the valuable experience they are surrounded by (whether they take drugs or not).

Thanks for your post, it allows us to set a tone of responsibility on this thread which should extend beyond the enthogenic. Because herbal remedies can be abused as well if misunderstood.

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

you guys are too much

if I'm overstepping my bounds please tell me

lol

I have many questions regarding
    Spinal degenerative disorders*****, severe anxiety, sodium levels, European Treatment centers for Ibogaine, expectorants, grey hair, reishi and other mush, etc etc etc
    are these all valid candidates for this forum?
    if so i wil start to post away b/c this thread is getting a bit too deep for my simple mind.lol
    btw, I for one appreciate that others out there have such similiar philosophy as myself regarding life-perspective,and take the time to post such intriging sp? essays.
    just hard to keep up with all the deep thought. =)

thank you in advance.
    LS

• EireannE
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well the only guidline to this thread is the title, new herbalist. So if you think your question fits then go ahead. It will only serve to increase the list of candidates for my garden.

P.S. glad you appreciate the discourse, so do I. Lets keep it coming everybody! :)

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

i have a collective pool of questions written down from family/friends and WILL post periodically as to not overload myself or anyone else.

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I'll remember; involve me and I'll understand."

-Confucious

i think. but this quote has ALWAYS blown me away..

add a little something about patience in the mix and out comes the ingredients for a great teacher.

Wishing you all, you're gardens, and your families
    peace and love this Holiday Season and Always,
    LS

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

whoa! i just researched this iboga i heard about. this treatment sounds horrific! i would NEVER suggest that be enflicted upon anyone ever.
    sorry i even mentioned that one.

• secret7
    18 years ago

Anyone interested in this topic should check out two great books: "Breaking Open the Head" by Daniel Pinchbeck and "Psychedelic Shamanism" By Jim DeKorne.

It is true that these plants are not to be taken lightly but they should not be dismissed either.

It is interesting to note that (according to the literature) some of the plants may be classified as "witchy" or of a "dark" disposition -- and they look it, with pointy serrated leaves etc. Others (like the Angel Trumpets) are beautiful, with magnificent flowers.

As for the lecture demeaning plants as a spiritual tool, there is a great essay contesting this view in "Psychedelic Shamanism" which I heartily agree with. God would not have blessed us with these sacraments if they weren't intended to be used. Some would argue this is Holy Communion, in the truest sense. Not just a symbolic wafer.

There are stories about intense physical healing related to the use of ayahuasca and other plants. At least one story on the web is very intriguing; posted by a traditional, older doctor, it tells of his cure from cancer.

There are also theories and evidence that these plants have had an influence on our evolution as a species, but I suspect that those who denigrate these plants may disagree with the theory of evolution in general.

Finally, some of the most brilliant minds throughout history belonged to partakers of these sacraments. If you read the above-mentioned books, the clarity and intelligence of the writers support this.

p.s. -- I would also recommend Brugmansia as a delightful addition to your garden. I've heard some people smoke the leaves and flowers (others make tea but that is STUPID, RECKLESS and DANGEROUS).

It is a beautiful plant with huge flowers. Very easy to grow. Can be cut and rooted easily. Growth is controlled by size of planter. It's a subtropical but I've kept two going on my porch for years. Make cuttings and grow it outdoors in summer. It is extremely easy to propagate from cuttings. A search on ebay will show you the many gorgeous varieties of flowers. Definitely worth a look.

B. Caapi is also adaptable to indoor growing. But to get the thick mature woody stems used in shamanistic activity, outdoor growth (or a large greenhouse) are probably required.

• esoterica
    18 years ago

I haven't read all the replies but thought I'd add the information.... regarding Mullein. It's considered a mild sedative and narcotic when smoked.

• theantiadult
    17 years ago

how bout kava i love the stuff i dont have a garden as i live in a motel but nakava.com has the plant itself 4 sale if u live in a warm climate that can grow it it might b cool 2 do so i usually drink prepaired powder.

• pftucker
    17 years ago

I don't think this herb has been mentioned. Calendula officinalis, or pot marigold is an easy to grow very useful herb. I have used it for insect bites, minor scrapes, scratches etc. The following excert (sp?)is from Botanical.com. I think you would realy enjoy this site especially since you enjoy the old folk lore.

"Botanical.com ...on the world wide web since 1995
    Home of the electronic version of "A Modern Herbal" by Maud Grieve."

This is part of what they had to say regarding Calendula officinalis:

" ---Parts Used---The flowers and leaves.

Leaves. - Gather only in fine weather, in the morning, after the dew has been dried by the sun. Flowers. - The ray florets are used and need quick drying in the shade, in a good current of warm air, spread out on sheets of paper, loosely, without touching each other, or they will become discoloured.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Marigold is chiefly used as a local remedy. Its action is stimulant and diaphoretic. Given internally, it assists local action and prevents suppuration. The infusion of 1 ounce to a pint of boiling water is given internally, in doses of a tablespoonful, and externally as a local application. It is useful in chronic ulcer, varicose veins, etc. Was considered formerly to have much value as an aperient and detergent in visceral obstructions and jaundice.

It has been asserted that a Marigold flower, rubbed on the affected part, is an admirable remedy for the pain and swelling caused by the sting of a wasp or bee. A lotion made from the flowers is most useful for sprains and wounds, and a water distilled from them is good for inflamed and sore eyes."

They continued with much more, but I think these are the most common uses.

And some other excerts where they are quoting others:

"In Macer's Herbal it is stated that only to look on Marigolds will draw evil humours out of the head and strengthen the eyesight.
    'Golde [Marigold] is bitter in savour
    Fayr and zelw [yellow] is his flowur
    Ye golde flour is good to sene
    It makyth ye syth bryth and clene
    Wyscely to lokyn on his flowres
    Drawyth owt of ye heed wikked hirores
    [humours].
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Loke wyscely on golde erly at morwe [morning]
    Yat day fro feures it schall ye borwe:
    Ye odour of ye golde is good to smelle.'

'It must be taken only when the moon is in the Sign of the Virgin and not when Jupiter is in the ascendant, for then the herb loses its virtue. And the gatherer, who must be out of deadly sin, must say three Pater Nosters and three Aves. It will give the wearer a vision of anyone who has robbed him.'

I hope you enjoy this site and your garden.
    Regards,

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical.com Calendula officinalis

• jengachamp
    16 years ago

I too enjoy Salvia. If you smoke an extract the feelings are a little stronger. There are some good and bad places to buy. I shop at www.ArenaEthnobotanicals.com
    They sell Salvia and Kratom (mainly) The Kratom Gold is Amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kratom Gold & Salvia

• djprep
    16 years ago

ya, ive also tried the kratom gold from Arena Ethnobotanicals, it's awesome. I tried it with green tea and chocolate milk. I'll have to try the Salvia. Seems they have a killer 35x wow, that must absolutely lay you out.... good times.

• eibren
    15 years ago

This is a fun thread to refer to now that Winter is almost over...

• silversword
    15 years ago

What a lovely thread! Not really my cup of tea, so to speak, but the discourse is fantastic and the material interesting.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

The old threads all seem to be really good.

• simplemary
    15 years ago

I grow artemesia absinthe by the front door (because that's where it wanted to be). Known as a dream herb-- no ingestion or smoking necessary-- it's also a plant-spirit medium. Putting a potted plant beside your bed for a few nights will always yield interesting results & has proven quite useful for ameliorating deep, chronic pain. The dried stalks in the fall can be used like yarrow for scrying. Very pretty, rather large (3') plant. Is very hardy here in US6. And yes, it is the absinthe in absinthe.

• eibren
    15 years ago

I would like to get another plant of that; had it years ago and it finally abandoned me.

Do you know of any good magical herbalism websites?

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

This thread is fascinating- now we are talking! You guys are great, lots of info. I love herbal folklore, too.
    BTW, eric oh, you grow herbs? You are redeemed in my sight! lol

• tropicdude
    13 years ago

I am just getting into medicinal herbs.

I have had success with: (I'm in humid tropics )

Andrographis, I highly recommend this "king of bitters" could be the best line of defense, for Swine, H1N1 etc.

Ashwagandha, another super herb.

Burdock, Purifier, remove toxins

Found out recently how well coriander is at removing heavy metals from cells, also dragon fruit.

Mugwort, I have but have not used, planted it for smudging, I might try a tea from it.

now I intend to try out some "psychoactive " herbs, but not looking for anything "trippy" .

Kratom: seems to work as both a stimulant similar to coffee, or something to calm you down, depending on dose, workers chew on leaves, to relieve fatigue and pain, its an antioxidant, and has some other health benefits.

Sacred Egyptian Blue Lotus ( Lily ). has some aphrodisiac properties similar to viagra, and but is relaxing, and makes you more sociable. ( as a wine infusion )

The way I see it, Anything can be toxic if its over done, even poisons at the right dosage can be medicinal.

I do not intend to smoke anything, or "concentrate" these medicinal herbs.

I want to get some plain old lemon balm also.

Some fruits and or their trees have medicinal properties, Soursop leaves have Graviola anti cancer properties, Acai, Goji, Mangostan are considered super fruits. even my Jujube is good for breathing problems.

there are many medicinal plants that wont do well here in this hot humidity, but I'll keep looking for some great stuff to add.

BTW, if anyone has a Kratom tree, I would like to get my hands on some seeds, I understand they are not viable for too long, and even fresh seeds are only 10-20%. I have ordered seeds, but not sure if I will be successful at getting them started.

I have included a link, to the "Plants for a future" database for medicinal plants, its pretty good reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for a future databse

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

You may wish to look into the herbs used in Ayurvedic traditions. I'm sure there are many that would prefer hot, tropical climates.

FataMorgana

• shonman
    12 years ago

I have live kratom trees

• kk1515
    12 years ago

you're not gonna see many trials for withania somnifera (aka ashwaganda) but there are thousands of years of experience that says it works, its an adaptogen, perhaps a bit better for men than women, but used by all. contrary to the marketing hype in the united states these days, adaptogens are not for casual use as they can mask more serious issues or cause new problems. if its an adaptogen make sure its what you need before using it.

re growing goldenseal...this is a specialty forest grown herb, the plant has exacting growing requirements, its essentially impossible to grow in the veggie/herb garden at all. i'd concentrate on others that are easy (many!) and buy this one from an organic grower, it has very specific uses and even then is used in tiny amounts so you won't need much. its endangered in the wild so please protect what stands are left by buying from an ethical source. better to use and grow milder polycrest herbs...ie, ones that have many medicinal uses and are pretty too...like chamomile, yarrow, mints of all kinds, dandelion, calendula, the culinary herbs like fennel, dill, rosemary, lavender etc.

happy gardening! k

• kk1515
    12 years ago

ps all basils (including tulsi aka holy basil) have psychoactive properties and wow do they taste good!

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

I can't answer your question about which herbs to grow in the tropics because I'm not a botanist. However, something that may give you a guideline is this: Consider what acute or chronic illnesses people deal with in your area. For instance, here in the northern cold mountain climate, people deal alot with upper and lower respiratory illnesses. So, herbs like garlic, echin, golden seal, (can you grow Osha easily? I buy it in raw form and make my own extracts), etc. would be most prevalently used here. So, you should grow herbs for your local needs.

Above were great suggestions. You can use culinary herbs (high in essential oils) that also double for helping other health conditions. Basil, marjoram, mints (various types), thyme, etc.

Hope this helps.

theherbalist2012

• brittneyj
    11 years ago

This is a great thread with lots of ideas. I am looking to do the same thing but I am a little intimidated because I don't have too much experience with gardening. I would like to start with kratom. I have been using it for anxiety. I look forward to seeing more ideas from others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kratom 101

Sponsored
More Discussions