SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

Vegetable Garden Watering Problem

naturenut_ohio
14 years ago

I hope it is ok to post here too, I have this in the organic and soil forums. I really wasnt sure which was the right one as they all have something in common with this problem.. I am just so hoping to get some ideas on how to fix this..

Hello all, I am hoping someone can help with a problem my dad is having with his vegetable garden.. His garden is made of raised rows that are approx. 8-10 inches deep and a foot wide. They are made of mostly leaf compost/leaf mold I would say about 80%. The rows seem to stay quite damp on the inside, soil holds together when you try to make a ball yet every vegetable wilts in the afternoon sun. The garden gets sun from 8-3. the plants themselves are very healthy and some are very large, we picked cauliflower yesterday, some the size of bowling balls. He does have maple trees growing around one side of the garden. We noticed his peppers are showing signs of Blossom End Rot. what can possibly be causing the daily wilting and BER? He has to water daily and soon as he adds water they all perk up, yet that row never seems to be dry.

Thanks so much,

Amy

Comments (5)