SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arwen2

Cannonball squash

arwen2
10 years ago

Last year I ordered a new type of winter squash seeds from T and M. Winter squash is probably my favorite vegetable; a new variety to complement my usual buttercup variety was exciting. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the squash. I did notice that they did not offer it this year. Hmm.
I planted the whole packet of seeds on a large mound in the middle of my garden. The vines ran everywhere, every bloom produced a squash. I was so excited! Bumper crop! I am thinking that the squash name was Conception. I harvested 3 squash that looked like the picture on the packet, green and white striped. Similar to a potato dumpling squash. They were delicious!
However, the other squash looked entirely different. They were a solid off-white color, all uniform in size, about 4 inches in diameter and round. They looked like mini pumpkins. In September I harvested 118 of them. Spectacular harvest from about 8 measly seeds.
They were not only the size of a 5 pin bowling ball, they were just as hard. Normally I stab a few holes in a squash and cook it in the microwave. There was no way to stab holes in these things. I tried sawing on them with a serrated knife and that didn't seem to be entirely successful either. My first attempt at microwaving them resulted in a loud BANG, the door of the oven blasted open and the squash it the wall on the other side of my kitchen. The squash itself was quite tasty...pale yellow somewhat stringy flesh, but yummy.
My second attempt involved baking them in the oven at low temperature. I still couldn't crack them open when done. I created a challenge for my friends...figure out how to cook them and open them and I would give the winner a years supply of them. Only one taker. She baked the squash and then took it outside and beat it with a rock until the shell split. Too much work for a tiny squash.
It is now the end of June and I still have over a hundred of these little suckers in my cellar, just as firm and hard as the day I picked them.
How do I get rid of them? My husband wants to paint them black and stack them beside the 2 decorative cannons on our front lawn. Storage is an important feature of winter squash, but this is ridiculous. These are indestructible.
Any suggestions? And what the hell are they?

Cyndy

Comments (9)