SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dangould_gw

all about horseradish

dangould
15 years ago

Let's have some fun talking about horseradish.

In the seed catalogs the roots seem kind of expensive. I was in the food store this early spring and found some big one inch diameter roots for less than $2. I planted both roots and they are growing nice. Of course I do not know what is under ground. So far no bugs and no problems. just nice green tops.

I know they now have hybrid horseradish roots and I figured if these roots were commercially being sold in the food store then it must be good stock or the grower would go out and get good stock to grow. Since the pieces were so fat I was concerned. But it was all I found. The store only had it that one day that I found it. I probably missed it on the other days. It was a store I do not usually go to. and I now forget which store it was. But I am all set with growing roots.

My understanding is that you take the roots in the fall or winter and blend in blender with vinegar to preserve them and bottle up. This only lasts a couple of months. I guess I could look around on the internet and find a recipe that would add horseradish to mayonaise and make a smooth hot sauce for ribs and other foods.

Since the horseradish roots last outdoors through the frozen winter, I wonder if they will preserved left whole in the freezer. I plan on trying some experiments and learning more.

This is my first time getting the horseradish to grow. So I am excited. I do like horseradish sauce.

I invite everyone to share any and all experiences with horseradish. Funny stories are more then welcome. Everything and anything is welcome here. Just keep to the topic of horseradish Please.

Comments (18)