SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neildeal_gw

A few quick questions about upside-down tomato plants

neildeal
10 years ago

Hi. I'm very new to this and have a few questions about the three tomato plants I've just put on my balcony.

The inverted one on the left is "Sungold", the inverted one on the right is "Celebrity", and the one in the clay pot is "Big Beef", which the vendor told me not to invert because the fruit it makes are too heavy. I bought the three of them at a farmer's market right below the patio.

The first question has to do with the soil. The guy who sold them to me at the farmer's market told me I'd have to transfer them to bigger containers and I made the mistake of listening to the lady at HomeDepot without double-checking when buying the soil and she told me to use {{gwi:76354}} I didn't realize until I'd finished everything that it does say on the back of the bag that it's not to be used in pots. Is this a big deal and will the plants die if I don't swap it out? I'd really rather not have to transfer them because it might mess up the plants and it will make a mess of my patio again, but I'll do it if ultimately necessary.

The next question has to do with the way they two inverted ones are curling up. The Sungold looks like {{gwi:76355}} and the Celebrity looks like {{gwi:76356}} Is that ok or is there something I should be doing about that?

In case it's not easy to make out from the photos, the stuff planted upright in the hanging ones is basil, which I've heard is extremely difficult to grow here in Seattle, but it they were only $3 each so I won't be too distraught if it fails.

Also, in case anyone is wondering how someone with my level of cluelessness managed to grow all the [much nicer-looking] stuff in the steel trough-thing below; I didn't. That stuff the building deals with.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer. I've never tried to grow anything before but realized that I must have spent at least $75 on tomatoes last summer, so if these can provide them for me this summer, it will be a success.

Comments (11)