SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piedmont_nc

Blackberry & Blueberry

piedmont_nc
16 years ago

I'm not a newbie gardner, but am a newbie to growing berries. 2 issues that I'd like some commentary on:

1. Bought 3 Blackberry plants at Lowe's ($4.97 each): 2 Triple Crown & 1 Navaho - planted them last weekend. The problem: While the Triple Crowns had a decent set of roots, the Navaho was just a branched stick with a single bud forming on it. With some degree of trepidation, I planted it the best I could - several inches of the joined area about 3-4" deep, and kept the box and receipt. Q: Should I just pull the thing up and return it, or does it stand a good chance of rooting?

2.a. I've also purchased 4 Rabbiteyes (Becky Blue, Bright Well, Premier, Woodard) from a reputable nursery that I'm preparing to plant this coming weekend. I've done a lot of research, and it's pretty clearly stated that the flower buds should be removed for the first 2 years in order to better establish the plant. Q: Does anyone have any experience regarding blocking fruit production for the first 2 years?

2.b. With this thought, I've decided to conduct (yet another!) experiment: Trim 2 plants, let 2 of the others fruit this year, and then allow one of the others to fruit next year. After the 3rd year, it will be interesting to make comparisons. Is this just the dream of a mad scientist, or a plan for good gardening observation?

Cheers!

- Jerry (looking forward to daylight savings in 2.3 weeks)

Comments (4)