SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Listless hen

Cena
18 years ago

I only have the five birds. Three are hatch sisters, purchased by my mother. No known parentage.

The three sisters have some odd behaviors. When I got them here (900 mile trip in a solid bottom guinea cage and 7 days still there while building pen) they still shivered although the temps are much, much higher then where they were from. The hen that has become dominate was an outcast back there, but she rules here. The three sisters have more of tendancy to rest/stand on one foot. They all shiver sometimes. One of them, the listless now, one, has a very strange stride. I had seen this before in my moms barnie yard and thought she was a direct sire to this rooster who was called Festus cause of his walk.

She will stride by bringing one foot clear up to her breast, then rising up like she was thinking of crowing, head, neck, back flexing within the stride, then lurching forward. Sometimes when scratch or fresh goodies are tossed in, she walks perfectly normal. If she is moving slow, or thinking about it, Lurch, Lurch. I'm thinking of making it her name.

Today, she ate only scratch out of the bowl, did not go about seeking insects. I moved the tractor and all the other hens found grubs and lots of other good stuff. She just stood there, on one foot, near the feeder and watched.

No ruffled feathers as in sick and lumpy, no other odd behavior, nothing to point to and say... gosh! She WAS removed, unenergetic, and out of character.

Should I worry?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County