SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourania_gw

Help with poblano pepper plants

ourania
14 years ago

hi everyone :) I'm new here to post, but have been scanning lots of older posts for help.

So I have 2 poblano chili pepper plants that I picked up at a local nursery. With their advice, I planted in Black Gold potting soil and added to the 4 square foot container (2 plants) a scant 2 TB of Osmocote fertilizer pellet things.

It took a long time for the plants to grow, but they took off when it got over 90d each day here. They are in full Sun for 8 hrs/day. The container has large holes drilled 2" apart on the bottom and a few on the sides, has 1" of small rocks in the bottom and that is topped with broken terra cotta. It drains water beautifully.

So --- the plants start growing, and are producing numerous small leaves and a few buds. I got maybe 3 flower, that would bloom and then drop off the next day. Got a few yellow leaves that would fall off. Buds would dry up and fall off before blooming. I researched online and here :) Figured out the soil (b/c of the Osmocote) probably had too much nitrogen. I soaked the container through twice (letting it dry out in between, which takes just 2 days here in southern Arizona). After that the plants did MUCH better...lots of buds staying on - a dozen or so flowers. I also treated with the standard Epsom salt mixture in a spray bottle 7 days ago...1 TB epsom salt to 1 gallon water (which I let sit outside for a day to get rid of any chlorine from the tap). Buds are staying, flowers are staying...it all looks good :)

However...I'm getting lots of new little leaves instead of the ones that are there growing. See picture below. I look online at other poblano plants (mature) and the leaves are 3-4 times larger.

Can I pinch off new leaves? Should I be cutting some of the new stems (under the plant) off? How? Do I just have a really happy plant? I want it to bear peppers :)

They are tall enough now to get saggy and will be staking them this afternoon.

Also --- one of the plants main stem has "split" for lack of better description. Picture below.

Thanks for any help :) The nurseries in town just seem a bit clueless and actually told me to post online in a garden forum for better help.

{{gwi:74322}}

{{gwi:74323}}

{{gwi:74324}}

Comments (6)