SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Do ants making hills around my vegetables harm them?

jayco
11 years ago

This year I keep seeing ant mounds around my vegetable plants, often right around the stem. I've been smoothing them down when I see them, but wasn't sure if they do any harm. They aren't very large, just an inch or two of mounded soil. Thanks.

Comments (28)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Generally, it's harmful to plants only if the colony gets so huge it disrupts/kills a plant's root zone...or (more likely) they start "farming" aphids (literally, taking aphids to plants to feed on so they can collect the honeydew the aphids poop out).

Most of the time they're just enjoying some loose soil to dig around in and cause no harm, though.

Also, smoothing mounds just make the ants not visit that hole and create a new one. It disturbs the colony, but rarely causes it to leave.

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I have only been smoothing the mounds around small seedlings that look as if they might get smothered. We do have plenty of ants and I realize they will just make the mound somewhere else. As long as my vegetable are OK they can mound to their hearts' content.

• Related Discussions

Ants making mounds around base of root crops

Q

Comments (7)
    I have ants doing that at the base of all my crops. They are pretty small ants and they don't seem to be harming the plants so far. It's fairly sandy soil here and I think they are using the roots to help with the architecture of their nests. But I really have no clue and I'm keeping an eye on them...
    ...See More

Ants in vegetable garden: good or bad?

Q

Comments (16)
    Wrigley, I've never seen ants chew through and take down plants at the base, are you sure it isn't perhaps cut worms? I've never had any problems from my ants in the garden (hey, they are Canadian Ants, maybe they are really polite eh?:) But yes, if you do have real problems with them, a mix of baking soda/sugar/water in any containers will help lessen the population. They take it back to the queen, or they ingest it and ... I think they explode but I really don't want to know:( Have to admit to never needing to try this but I've heard of too many people raving about this to doubt it's effectiveness. The "recipe" below lists yeast too, I guess there are a number of combo's but likely they all work just as well. You don't need holes in the lids, if ants can crawl up vertical kitchen cabinets to the counter tops, they can manage a jam jar lid or even a bowl set in the ground a little so it doesn't get tipped over by you, just fine. If the bowl is level with the ground, this will also trap slugs and earwigs, so double duty (they drowned). Beer used to be used for slug/earwigs but what a waste of good beer:) Here is a link that might be useful: baking soda and sugar water
    ...See More

how do I get rid of a large ant hill?

Q

Comments (5)
    I've used a product called "Terro Ant Dust" with great success. Think I found it at Menard's; bright orange cannister of powder - theory being dust it around the hill and the ants carry it in dessimating the colony (and rather quickly). Normally I try to avoid chemicals, but sometimes you just have to take action. I haven't had any major ant problems since destroying a big colony (maybe a third the size of yours) a couple of years ago with the Terro. The little ants that tend to crop up in garden spaces can be moved along simply by disturbing the soil.
    ...See More

Ants! How to make them lewve my garden?

Q

Comments (4)
    For me I have found just water with a few drops of dish soap do the job. It washes off the waxy coating and you should see them curl up and die. Now you will not get the queen as she will be at the bottom of the mound and they try to protect her. Even if you kill her they will create a new one. But they do not like being bothered and after a while they will move away form that area.
    ...See More
  • sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

It depends on the type of ants. I have a type now that enjoys farming aphids and mealybugs... on plant roots. I'm still working on a good organic method for dealing with these. Keep an eye on the plants, if they fail to thrive, consider pulling one up to check the roots. Hopefully your ants are more benign thatn mine!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

I use a home-made mix of Borax + powdered sugar...1 part borax to 2 parts sugar with a little bit of water (a very little bit...enough to make a paste).

I put it on paperboard (that stuff junkmail flyers are printed on) near mounds. It kills off or makes many colonies move in a matter of days.

The boron it adds to the soil profile is pretty insignificant, it's mostly harmless to any animals that might eat it (aside from an upset stomach), and it's really cheap to make.

I put it out when the ants are active and remove them if rain is coming (not required, but if it's not hardened into a rock you can place them back out after rains).

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Thanks, NC! I'm trying something similar, but with the borax/sugar in a liquid form. I'm cautiously optimistic, but the real pain is finding enough tiny receptacles to make many bait stations. I can't tell if I have thousands of minor colonies or merely twenty or so huge colonies with many exits. I hope and suspect the first, since weeds I pull up will have aphids sometimes and mealybugs another. The queen brings the starter aphid/mealybug when she makes her maiden voyage to start the colony, so different bugs means different queens. I hope. I'm also not sure if I will need to do something seperate to address the aphids on the roots once the ants move off/die...

Fascinating insects, if only they weren't undoing my hard work with theirs!

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Don't waste your time with borax. Jeez, always a chemical bandaid solution to bypass a true solution at the expensive of our environment and your soil ecology (and therefore plant health). Oh not to mention you're throwing $$ away without getting to the root problem - an area hospitable to ant colonies due to dry soil or not enough organic mulch.

Just throw orangic mulch on top of the soil surrounding your plants. 1-3" of it. Grass clippings, leaves, straw, seaweed, coffee grounds, etc.

The idea is to foster an environment beneficial to your plants not by dousing it with chemicals but by boosting the multifaceted systems within it by working with it, not against it, to enhance biological, chemical, and physiological systems.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

If Borax isn't "green" enough I'm surprised you own a computer. A lot of people would have it on their lists.

Also, a box of Borax + a box of powdered sugar will cost you around $4 and it should last you long enough to pass the boxes down to another generation.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Another 'it depends on the ant' answer. There is a species called "Allegheny Mound Builders" I had one of the first colonies my extension agent had seen in person and showed it to a group of MGs in training. They inject the soil around their castles with formic acid to purposely kill vegetation. They form a symbiotic relationship with hairstreak butterflies, however and you may want to Google that and read about it. Generally, if you can tolerate the ants, they are an excellent insect predator.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Mulch doesn't do diddly to disuade the ants I have, but thanks for your input! My garden is mulched, but what they seem to be after is plants around which they can farm their aphids and mealybugs. They seem to regard the hay and straw mulches as blessed shade. The soil is sandy loam, and ants thrive here because of the lightweight nature of the substrate.

This seems to be a boom year for the ants, with noticably many more than the past two summers, so this is the year I need to do something. Last year less than 10% of the plants had ant hills, this year 80-85%, which I consider to be well beyond the acceptable loss limit. Anyhow, of all the methods out there, the borax and sugar was the most gentle, environmentally friendly method I could find, with little impact on the plants, soil, or beneficial insects. Sadly, not all problems can be mulched away.

To the OP, sorry if this is hijacking your thread, but if you decide you need to do something about your ants, you are getting lots of input on what methods to try!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Many parts of the US didn't have "killing frosts" or long enough cold/freeze spells this year...especially all up the East Coast.

I'm a bit shocked fungal diseases haven't been totally out of control this year. The bugs I'm used to seeing seasonally "moved in" many weeks earlier this year in NC.

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Yeah I wonder how much fossil fuel that borax took to make, or that sugar.

Cool, I have a computer, so I may as well dump oil on the beach, because hey, I have a computer.

Anyways, red herrings aside, there is no need to waste time or money with Borax. If you are mulching and have ant problems, you aren't mulching intensively enough, and your soil is too dry.

Aside from that, if you have ants, and you're mulching sufficiently, and damage (most likely make believe) to your plants is offset by the beneficial factors of mulch regarding water retention and increased biological activity in your soil.

If you have aphid problems that attract your ants, buying borax is useless, because the root cause is your APHID problems. Easily solved in the short term by spraying off with water, or trimming your affected plant to easily remove huge numbers of aphids, or squishing them with your hands, or having a beneficial environment that encourages predator insects (eh ehm - organic MULCH).

Buying borax is yet another lazy bandaid solution that ignores the many biological, chemical, horticultural, and physiological aspects at play involved in gardening. Two or more birds can be killed with one stone by mulching. Nothing is achieved by buying borax aside from yet another bandaid solution that ignores the root cause of an issue while ignoring many other issues that come into play here while gardening.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

You might want to make sure you actually know what Borax is...or take your meds.

It's a naturally occurring, mined mineral that's minimally processed down to powder form and put in a box.

If you got issues with Borax there's about 10,000 other things out there that's REALLY gonna upset you.

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we do have a good layer of organic mulch in the garden, so the ants only make their mounds right where we've pulled the mulch aside for the seedlings. But the plants all look OK, so I'm just going to live and let live.

By the way, we don't have overly dry or sandy garden soil. In fact, our native soil is quite heavy and clay-ey, so I imagine the amended garden soil seems nice and light to our ants, who generally have to put up with much worse!

Thanks everyone for your advice, and for the interesting different perspectives. Ants are always good for a conversation-starter; I use them all the time at parties.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Also try READING what is written... I cannot possibly hose aphids off the roots of my plants. Talk about ignoring the root of a problem!

So, careful because your ignorance is not winning you any points for believability... Maybe you should take your trolling attempts to get a rise out of people elsewhere.

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Sunnibel,

Silly, you just pull the plants, wash the roots off and then replant them and thoroughly mulch with some good organic mulch... They'll be just fine lol.

:)

• AiliDeSpain
    11 years ago

Interesting reading lol! I also have an ant problem, I did nothing about it then much to my dismay came out one morning to half of my zucchini seedlings munched to the nub by something, aphids? Earwigs? I would mulch but if it is earwigs mulch attracts them. What to do?

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Aphids feeding on the roots of your plants? If they are, which they generally don't, it's because your roots are exposed (this shouldn't happen if you're mulching properly, and roots of your plants should never be exposed even without mulch)

"You might want to make sure you actually know what Borax is...or take your meds.It's a naturally occurring, mined mineral that's minimally processed down to powder form and put in a box.If you got issues with Borax there's about 10,000 other things out there that's REALLY gonna upset you."

-Yeah - I'll say it again - how much fossil fuel does it take to make Borax (mine it out of the earth, send it to a factory, package it, ship it to be sold)

It's a complete waste of everything.

But I guess since other things are bad in the world, it's ok to ignore that - right? Hey go pour oil on your garden because, well, there's car exhaust in the air, and we'll all get cancer one way or the other - right? Nice red herrings!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Thanks, Howel, I'll do that! 30 3 ft tall tomatoes, 80 corn plants, goodness knows how many beans (how do I get them wrapped around the cattle panel again, I wonder)... ;)

This is the last I will post to this discussion. Do a web search for "root aphids" find information, educate yourself. If you want to stretch yourself, then do a search for information about "cornfield ants" and you can read the same information I already told you, just from an agricultural extention or IPM website.

As for the rant, well, if you really feel that way, I suggest looking into eastern religions and philosophies. They deal more directly with the ambiguity (some say dualism) of life and may help ease your angst about being alive in this world. Because unless you sit absolutely still and starve yourself to death in the dark, every single thing you do has some negative impact.

Aili, I don't know what munched your zucchini, but aphids are off the hook for that since they suck plant juice rather than eat foliage. Maybe start a new thread yourself? Post a pictue of the damage? Cheers!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Irony - Needing Borax hydrolyzed into Boric Acid in order to make the glass for a computer screen...or glass for the glass houses one would throw rocks from the inside of.

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Lets bathe in borax, because hey, our computer screens are made with it!

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol...

Poor jayco had no idea what he/she was starting with this thread llmao.

I think I going to go make some borax/baking soda dish detergent and do a load of dishes since I'm out of dish soap and don't feel like wasting gas on a trip to the store to get more ;)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Irony - Someone who praised someone else in another thread for using a soap/water method for getting rid of a problem having a issue using something that's more minimally processed than dish soap (with less inputs coming from ingredients made from far away palm trees and industrial byproducts).

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Actually, that's not irony...

Anyway...

In reality-land, Borax used like this is some pretty safe stuff for your soil unless you're dangerously close to having high boron levels in your soil (most people aren't). The amounts used for ant control are extremely minimal and localized.

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Didn't praise, and called for water or other methods

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Yeah, bees aren't ants.

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, like I said, ants are always a good conversation starter.

They make mounds, they're industrious, their entire biomass weighs more than our entire biomass. Plus they rhyme with "pants." How much better can it get?

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Lol, the movie was pretty good too, at least in my opinion... Uh oh, I probably just opened the door to a whole new debate lol...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths