SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

a hurt hen

17 years ago

A couple of days ago I noticed that one of our older hens (1 ½ years), Alice, looked to be in rough shape: she was sitting outside the coop when the others were in, walked funny, kind of low to the ground and then I saw that she has lost many feathersÂalmost no tail feathers, gone on her back and feathers gone on her chest. All of our older hens (none of the layers is laying much any more but weÂve decided to keep them on as "pensioners") had lost feathers on their backs from a previous rooster, but the feathers were coming back. And for a short time (until we killed them) we had cockerels that were mating every female in sight. She has also not been out and about with her mates (3 other Red Star layers) in the last several days. All I can figure is that she is getting pecked by other chickens. But I have not seen that happen.

Yesterday she had a small cut on her back and a little blood so I got very worried. We donÂt have any Blue-Kote but I ordered some on-line right awayÂdo you think that will help when I get it?. And, in the mean time, I brought Alice inside. SheÂs in a large clear plastic tote, about 4 feet from where IÂm grading finals. IÂve been feeding her canned corn and scrambled eggs and she eats it all up. She seems alert but quiet. She cleans and preens herself. I really donÂt mind having her inside and want build up her strength. But IÂm afraid that when I put her back out, she will get pecked again. Weather here is in the 30Âs during the day and weÂve had lots of rain. Should I just keep her inside until the Blu-Kote comes? Or do any of you have other solutions

Comments (10)