SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

My hawk experience

gardengalrn
14 years ago

I have been having a fit with possums living under the coop, a visiting skunk, and coyotes howling in the night. I've been missing chickens and finding carcasses here and there. I would say I lost two for every one carcass I found. Usually a pile of feathers and the chicken with its head ripped off and the breast/gullet eaten out. I knew it wasn't the possums who where doing this but I could never figure out WHAT with the abundance of critters around here. Last week a chicken got killed in broad daylight, in the pen. Hmmm. So two days ago I just happened to look out there and low and behold, a huge hawk was sitting on a dead chicken, eating it. Very clever, it flew off the second I saw it. So I went out and made a hodgepodge of obstacles and draped wire fencing over the open spots. It looks terrible but so far no other chickens got snatched. It won't keep a determined predator out but I read here that it may keep the hawk from swooping down so easily. Hopefully by spring I can do something more secure. I just never thought that a hawk would cause so much damage; he's really been pretty hungry I guess. Lori

Comments (17)