SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
undercover_owl

Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?

undercover_owl
17 years ago

We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad Breasted Bronze. 9 months old.

Was purchased as a baby, to be a companion to a broad breasted white baby that had been bloodied by the other chicks. (I saw the poor thing with a bloody behind, and I felt the need to rescue it. Well, the BBWhite named "Casper" grew up to be disabled with "special needs", and was an easy mark for a predator one night when we failed to carry him/her into the coop. So now we just have the one healthy Bronze turkey, named "Birdie".

We say "he's a handsome boy", but, maybe it's a female?

No huge eggs have appeared, so we've just assumed it's a "he". But when I look at photos of male Bronze turkeys....our turkey is not doing any of that showy display. Our turkey's face never gets as warty and swollen as the photos of males I've seen. The snood stays small. He/she has as shiny and as pretty feathers, as a rooster. The shiny, pretty feathers have made me believe this is a male. Sometimes he/she puffs up body feathers, but not to the extent I've seen males do in photos. I've never seen Birdie fan out his/her tail.

No eggs, but, all our birds free range and it's possible that an egg has been laid in the woods.... Not that I would even know what a turkey egg would look like.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!