SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
london1817

Milking the goat......required???

london1817
15 years ago

I just bought a couple of goats. We have been told one is pregnant. Do I have to milk her after she has her kids?? Or can I just leave them with her and then let her dry off when the kid weans???

Comment (1)

• gcritters
    15 years ago

You can let the kids nurse from her..I didn't do that...I milked the does and then bottle fed the kids. It's a lot more work, but the kids become really friendly that way. You do have to careful about leaving the kids in with other goats because they do like to butt each other and because of the size difference can hurt the kids. The way I dried the does off was to lengthen the period of time between milking gradually so she started giving less and less milk..if you do it too quickly you can cause mastitis and obviously pain for the doe. The only other issue that I don't know is how you would wean the kids when the mother doe is available to nurse..with the kids separate from the mother doe I just started giving the kids water, grain and hay as they got older and increased the quantity. I would feed less and less milk to the kids and eventually start replacing the milk with water as their food consumption increased. Have fun!