SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmdj1994

a couple of ?? re: goats & chickens

jmdj1994
15 years ago

Hi all--

Just wodering if anyone could give me any reccomendations about my 3 year old nubian doe. We recently "rescued" her from some folks who loved her but didn't take the best care of her. Her hooves were horribly overgown and she had footrot. She also appears to have a swollen right front knee--she favors it quite a bit and rarely bears weight on it. She walked around on her front knees a lot at her old home, but since we have been slowly trimming her hooves back she walks most of the time now. However, she still gimps around on that right leg and I know it hurts her--especially on the really cold days. I have gotten her up to date on her tetanus and worming, and I also gave her a shot of LA-200 just in case she had something else going on. I have also talked with a few goat people who reccomended giving her a regular 325 mg aspirin once a day. This has made dramatic improvements but I would like to see her more comfortable. Yesterday it looked more swollen than it has in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is OK to give her Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM to help with what appears to be her arthritic right front knee? IF so what dosage? She interacts normally and eats well and I don't notice any other issues in any of her other joints. Unfortunately my local vet doesn't have much to offer when it comes to goats. I also will start using an essential oil salve everyday starting Monday that I hope will help with the pain and inflamation as well.

As for my chicken question....I have 28 very productive leghorns and I was wondering if I could give them regular oats mixed in with their feed? When I was a kid we always gave them rolled oats. My grandma was the chicken guru and she told me not to give them too much corn. My egg count has dropped quite a bit this week but I would venture to guess that it's becuase it was colder this week than what they have been used to.

Any and all comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks so much in advance and have a great weekend!

Marie

Comments (23)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor