SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reba_grows

pics-30 day old Tropicana, Magenta, Buttercrunch, Anuenue lettuce

16 years ago

{{gwi:72781}}

In the pic above, Tropicana is in front and Blk Seeded Simpson behind.

In the pic below is Tropicana, Magenta, Buttercrunch and there is an Anuenue in there too somewhere, and Black Seeded Simpson.

These guys are still going strong, still in their 2&1/2 inch cell packs and, (as you can see by the thermometer), handling the 90+ degree temps, under my lights in a non- air conditioned room. We've already had 2 salads from the leaf pickins' from these 4 cell packs.

{{gwi:72783}}

All of them transplanted easily at the first 3 true leaf stage. They dried out a couple of times when I couldn't get to the watering of the seedlings, (too busy weeding in the real garden), yet they all bounced back.

All are wonderful tasting! The magenta isn't red because they've only grown under the lights. The Black Seeded Simpson is too tender and wilts a little too fast for my taste, I like some crunch to my teeth- the other 4 gave me that, without being tough.

I am not transplanting these ones in the ground, it's been too easy to pick them this way. (And no bugs ahhhhh.....).

But the new seedlings coming up, will be going in the soil outside.

I do think starting them inside and with a little shade when they are transplanted outside, they will do well in the heat-we'll see.

These five -Tropicana, Buttercrunch, Magenta (use to be Sierra I think), Anuenue and Black Seeded Simpson would sure be my choice for summer gardening thus far- we'll see when the inside 90+ degrees turns into the outside-in the sun-90+ degrees.

I would have posted this, in the old then recent post concerning summer lettuces/greens, (which I really enjoyed), but I know it's hard to have pics in the longer posts for those like me with ancient dial-up.

Rebecca

Comment (1)