SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Crimson seedless grapes in greenhouse

Still have a few of this grape on the vine in my greenhouse. They are still very sweet and crisp. The last 50 days has been the chilling cycle. Figure I got about 800 chilling hrs in those 50 days. The grapes hung on the vine all that time. So I have been enjoying the friut since early October. Today I went to the spring growth phase. Am going to run the house warmer than last spring. Will let it warm to low 80s during the day. Should have first bloom in less than 2 wks.

Was surprised that the Crimson lasted that long with no off flavor or other loss in quality. It is a really slow to ripen grape. Will prune the vine tomorrow so will harvest last of the fruit.

Still have a lot of navel oranges and pummelo. Enough to last until apricot season which should arrive in April, maybe even early April.

If anyone wants to try protected fruit production, growing grapes would be the easiest. They don't need any real chilling and have the fewest pests. Haven't even had spider mites in my greenhouse. Just a few grape leafhoppers that were controlled with one spray.

The Fruitnut

Comments (3)