SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgregghold

early rooster crowing

jgregghold
17 years ago

Okay - I have 6 chicks and am new to this whole thing. They are 4 and a 1/2 weeks old. I have been suspecting that two of them may be roosters... due to more aggressive behavior and fearlessness, etc. One is an Aracauna (Josie) and the other a Black Australorps. The Aracauna really started to change this past week - beautiful flame red feather coloring and a slightly larger comb than the other two Aracaunas I have. When in the open runs, she really goes nuts and runs at/ chases the others - sometimes flying at the others feet first. When I opened the chicken door this morning, out my girls came and suddenly I heard a definite attempt at a crow. Josie was standing there staring right at me. We stared at each other and again, another crowing attempt... and then a third. At that moment I had absolutely no doubt that Josie must be Joseph and I must find her/him a new home. By the end of today, I have found a woman willing to take Josie in... however, I am now doubting what I was so sure of this morning. Partly because she didn't do it again all day, but mostly because everything I've read says they don't start crowing for 2 - 3 months. Has anyone ever heard of one starting this early? I am in an area where I am trying to be extremely discrete about keeping my hens and I think even one crow that the neighbors could hear would NOT be a good thing. Help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!