SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

anybody famliair with Winekist apple?

windfall_rob
12 years ago

Just curious if anyone here has tried one? I have been curious about the red-fleshed apples for awhile. I have only tried one(red fleshed apple) ever, I don't know which variety and it was pretty sour. I have heard that they all are pretty iffy for fresh eating.

Anyone tried this one or know of a variety better suited for eating off the tree?

Comments (7)

• Beeone
    12 years ago

I can't suggest any varieties but had some red fleshed apples that were given to me a couple years ago. Very red, shaped like a Red Delicious, a little on the small side (2-2 1/2 inches) and red all the way through. The apples were very good--reminded me a lot of a good Jonathan. Sweet but not sugary, tart but not sour, just a good balance of both, and a very nice flavor/aroma. Very good for fresh eating, and they held their shape when made into a pie.

Unfortunately, I don't know the variety. Stark's has a red fleshed apple that looks like it and tried to order it once but it was out of stock. Haven't tried since.

• windfall_rob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Something like you describe is what I am hoping Winekist to be. I think the kids would get a kick out of them. I am not thinking of a whole tree of them, but was considering grafting them into an existing tree for the novelty and variety. But even grafted space is too precious (for us) to waste on something that is not really edible.

Anybody else want to chime in?

• olpea
    12 years ago

I've tried Pink Pearl from Applesource. I didn't like the apple at all, but my daughter loved it.

I'm not a big fan of acidic apples though (Pink Lady is on the outer edge of acidity for me.) I like sweet apples (Fuji, Hokuto, Mutsu).

Still I've ordered a couple benchgrafts of Pink Pearl for this Spring. Even though I don't like it, I figure some people must, since my daughter loves it. The red flesh is stunning. It's a summer apple.

• tedgrowsit
    12 years ago

Two kinds I have tried, Almata and Hidden Rose, are both decent apples to eat off the tree. They are a bit on the tart side, but definitely edible. Neither was stunningly red though. They were both more pinkish inside. Ted

• olpea
    12 years ago

"Neither was stunningly red though. They were both more pinkish inside"

Ted,

When I wrote, "The red flesh is stunning." I meant the red flesh is very pretty, not the flesh is "stunningly red".

The flesh of Pink Pearl is a light red or pink and probably similar in color to the apples you mention.

• Dave Liezen
    7 years ago

Yeah, red-fleshed apples are not for those whose palates have been trained by eating Honeycrisp. Redfield is ripe early October here in Spokane, but not as tart as Winekist, which was ripe the last week of July this year, and had 12 Brix. (This season is about 3 weeks ahead of the norm.)
    Winekist is gloriously red, and I think its potential for adding to cider is excellent.

Try the British: Surprise, Yankee: Airlie Red Flesh or Pink Pearl for eating out of hand. I haven't yet had the pleasure, but have read good things about 'em.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am not familiar but I was looking at this apple as a possibility for me to grow. I planted two apple trees this year a pink lady and honey crisp. But I want to plant winter banana as well as the red fleshed Niedwetzkyana apple.

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=344

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville