SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caffie7

I saw a squash vine borer bug laying eggs! grr

Caffie7
12 years ago

Hello, I just went out to look at the garden in mid afternoon, and there was a bright orange and black bug flying around. First it went to a tomato plant and was zipping around, then it went down underneath the plant. When I looked, it was doing something at the base of the plant, so I shooed it away. Then it went straight to my young squash plants and again went to the base of a plant, and was holding on to the main stem and trying to lay eggs at the base of the plant where it comes out of the ground. Then I realized it was a SVB bug. I tried to pinch it but just got the upper part of its back, and it flew off (did not return). My goodness! Those things mean business. I never understood exactly how they work but I do now. Someone recommended planting icicle radishes around squash and said he never had a problem in many years of squash growing in this area. But I don't understand how that would combat the direct-sowing method of eggs at the base of the plant! Now I see why nylon stockings at the base of plants would make sense. Just anything to help keep those dreadful things away from the stem where it comes out of the ground. My poor squash plants seem so vulnerable now.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz