SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandchickens

How do I reintroduce 2 roosters?

islandchickens
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help us. We have been getting sage advice from this site for months.

Last spring, my husband and I started a small flock of chickens (5 so far) on small island in the Caribbean. All of our chickens have been raised from chicks 1-2 weeks old. The 2 oldest are 6 month old rooster brothers and have been raised together since birth. They go everywhere on the property together and sleep together in their coop or up in the trees in the screened area we built for their safety (we have a feral cat problem here and lost several young ones early on). The 3 youngest are too young to be with the roos and are kept in a separate area.

We took a short vacation and 1 of the 2 roos escaped the coop. None of our neighbors could get him back in, but continued to feed and watch him while we were gone. He's been out for more than a week. Now we're back and we want to reintroduce the 2 roos to each other.

It wasn't hard to get the loose one back into the screened area (about 500 sq ft with trees). But after about a minute, they started fighting. At first it seemed more show and we thought that they were trying to re-establish pecking order. Then as things got more aggressive and they started biting each others comb, wattles and ear lobes, we broke it up and moved the "loose" one back out.

Now we are wondering what we should do. Would it be different if the one inside was taken outside (assuming that he had established the screened area as his new territory)? Please let us know what ideas you have. Since we tried this earlier today, I read on one website that once roos are separated, if they are reintroduced they will kill each other. We certainly don't want that to happen.

We appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks

Comments (8)