SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turnkey4099

Journal for Sept 26-Oct 2

turnkey4099
18 years ago

Football season out here. Mid/low 60s flirting with frost nights. Predicted to warm to near 70 later in week with chance of 'showers' which usually means a minor dampening with no accumulation. Nothing major showing in the Gulf of Alaska where where all our weather comes from this time of year. A couple small lows out there but they won't come until the blasted high pressure ridge over use either breaks down or moves.

Trees already turning color, wasn't expecting that so soon. My one Green Ash is a yellow blaze of glory in the pasture. Black Walnuts and Golden Locusts also turning. Farmers getting serious now about fitting the ground. Neighbor says he will seed later in week and "dust it in". That is term used for dry years like this. Seed it just deep enough to keep the birds from getting it and wait for the fall rains to arrive. Works pretty well most times.

Looks like Rita has wetted down the dry parts of Mo. Hope it wasn't too much.

On the tail end of the treatments. End them on Wed. Alma is standing it very well except being very tired and having a very red breast. Looks a lot like a 1st degree burn on the verge of becoming a 2nd degree. Doc says it will clear up in short order after the treatments are over.

Out to the Woodpatch Saturday to continue work on the big willow I took down last week. Another 2 hours of brushing and I had a clear look at the remaining log. I estimated it using Mark I eyeball last week at 40 feet and wanted to see how close I was. Ouit with a tape and hmm very close...not. 56' from the 38" butt to just above the 2nd major crotch. Cutting rounds of 16" at that point. Although the butt is rottern the top is all good solid wood. I cut down to about the 50' level yesterday and made most of a load. Last round was 26" diam and took me past the last crotch leaving me with about 48' of huge log. Hope the good wood continues for at least a few more feet.

Working on split/stack of the load plus stuffing the back porch. I usually put 4 ricks 7'x12'x16" in but this year I plan to do only 3. I have wood in the woodshed I haven't used in several years. Practice is to use all the back porch then out of the woodshed starting about Feb. This year with only 3 ricks I should be in the shed about Jan and should just about empty it by seasons end.

Ah yes. The mystery dumper. Nothing more seen or heard. The blanket and pillow are now well buried in new additions to the slash pile and the deputy has the knife. He had asked if I wanted it before I convinced him he should at least hold it a little while. I don't want it anyhow as I have no use for it.

Harry K

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES