SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

favorite hand pruners discontinued

alan haigh
10 years ago

Sometimes the best products get canceled and that has happened with the ARS V series of hand pruners. These are elegant tools with alloy handles very securely attached to the extremely hard steel blades.

Because the blades are so brittle you can break them by accidentally dropping them on ice or cutting into metal but so hard you can prune all day for a week without sharpening them.

They are dangerous to keep in your pocket because the extremely sharp blades open automatically when the handles are squeezed but in a holster they are fantastic- I like them much more than any Felco model.

The only sizes left at amleo.com are small and medium and the medium are almost all gone. My hands are medium small for a man and the small size works great for me- for most woman they are perfect.

I just got a shipment of 6 for myself which will last me a few years, anyway. Probably won't be able to find any parts, but the blades are almost as expensive as the whole tool and they are the only part of the tool I've ever had to replace. I will use a pair more in one season than most of you will use in a lifetime so if you don't lose it it will last.

I wouldn't usually go so far to endorse a tool, but these are the best cutting hand pruners I've ever owned. I only hope they come up with a replacement model that is as good.

So far all I see is one with a rotating handle which I haven't found advantageous- even when you spend the entire day with one in your hand. My hand does not appreciate the "ergonomic" design. There are also a couple other ARS models with primitive closing systems that require two hands to close. I guess these could just be pushed into a holster left open but the handles don't look as comfortable.

Comments (36)