SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motormouth76

Loyal Retriever or Chicken Thug?

motormouth76
17 years ago

My dog Zora and my backyard flock of chickens (4 silkie bantams + 3 standard laying hens) share the backyard for an hour here and there every day.

Zora is one year old, adopted from the humane society where it was estimated that she is a Lab/Shepard mix. She also has a black spotted tongue that my vet thinks may indicate she's has some chow as well.

When the dog feels rascally she will chase the chickens down one-at-a-time, pin them down with her paw, and either a)lick their head and release them, or b)flip their wings up into her mouth, "mouth" the wing and release.

She has had many opportunities to really harm the chickens, and I have allowed her that freedom because on a city lot, if the animals cannot cohabitate the situation is not sustainable and that needs to be determined.

However, Chrysanthemum is an Aracauna that has always seemed a little batty and scrawny (a great layer though). Yesterday I caught Zora CARRYING HER BY THE BACK OF HER WING ACROSS THE PATIO! She let her down and the chicken seemed to be OK.

So has the line been crossed? Is it inevitable that she will harm them eventually? Is she just getting back to her herding shepard roots?

Any advise that is frank (but not from my mother) would be fantastic...

Thanks

Mariah

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor