SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
followingadream

WANTED: Edibles (veggies, herbs, etc.) for kids

followingadream
9 years ago

I am looking for seeds to grow edibles. Particularly, vegetables and herbs. My husband and I have five kids, and we are going to begin home schooling at the end of the current school year. Our finances are limited, so we're hoping to trade our way into more variety in the garden.. This is our first year gardening, so we are starting fresh. I have a number of different seeds right now, but most are in such small quantities that I only have enough to plant, and not trade. I do have some seeds to trade (listed below). Here's an idea of what we're looking for...

My 12 year old wants to grow different varieties of cucumber so she can try various pickling recipes to see which she likes best. She has also asked if we can grow all the ingredients we need to make our own spinach and artichoke dip, and salsa.

My 10 year old is a chef in the making. He wants to try new recipes to showcase what we grow. He will also be building his very own herb garden this summer. He is willing to try just about anything if it means trying out a new recipe.

My 8 year old is excited to grow anything and everything. She's willing to try it all, regardless of how mundane or exotic it may be. She's already planning a schedule to water and weed the garden we haven't planted yet. If it's yellow, that's a bonus.

My 4 year old has asked me to gather as many purple things as I can find. So far I think I've done alright... but I'm sure there's more out there than eggplant and purple carrots.

I don't have a lot of seeds to trade, but I do have bell pepper seeds (red, orange, and yellow, as well as mixed mini bell pepper seeds), some cucumber seeds, some broccoli, and lettuce. I think I have some spare Cherokee Purple tomato seeds too. Hopefully we will have even more varieties to trade next year once we can harvest some seeds from what we grow this year.

Would anyone be interested in trading with me, and helping to encourage some kids to grow, cook and eat their own food?

Comments (6)

Sponsored