SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirldiana1

Will chickens kill one of their own?

dirtgirldiana1
14 years ago

I've mentioned I have (had) 24 hens and 1 rooster. I went out back this afternoon and one of my chickens (golden buff) was dead. This sounds awful to say but the other ones were eating her. They are in a 10x20 dog kennel with chicken wire all around. There is no way a preditor got in. My crew is almost 5 months old. I have a RR rooster but he doesn't seem that aggressive. I have 2 of each silver laced wyandotte, delaware, cukoo maran, ameraucanas, salom faverolles, barred plymouth rocks, buff opringtons, black austrolorp, golden buff, welsummers, blue andalusians, rr, and black star.

I called the hatchery where they were purchased and the lady told me it sounded like they had a vitamin defiency and needed more calicum. I give them crushed oyster shells a couple times a weeks and I feed them layea made by purina.

I have noticed the black stars seem to be aggressive..They seem to play the role of the rooster more than it roo does.

Will they gang up on each other and kill? I really don't want this to happen again. Is their run to small?

Has anyone else had problems with mean chickens? If I weren't worried about chicken hawks I'd turn them all loose so they could get away from whoever is being the aggressor.

Diana

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery