SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

Problems with my new coop

msjay2u
15 years ago

Well I am just full of problems this morning.As some of you regulars know I was having problems getting my chicken coop finished. Now that it is finished I have identified some problems that I would like your help with.

1- I made a box for the chickens to go in. it sits about 4' off the ground and I made a ramp for them to climb into it. No photo of the ramp since my camera is not working. The amp is just a long board that I stapled 1x1s on for them to be able to get up the ladder without slipping. Here is a photo of the coop:

{{gwi:42577}}

I tried putting the chickens in there and they just run down the ramp back to the ground. they sleep on the ground too. How can I remedy that? When it gets cold they have no where to go to keep warm!

2> I made this feeder for them and they love it. It holds about 10 lbs of feed. Problem: when I got back from being away for two weeks I notice there were a lot of bugs (like flour bugs) in the feed. is it okay to leave the feed and let the chickens eat it?

{{gwi:34161}}

should I make the tube shorter to hold less feed or is it okay as is?

3- water. I been using this little water feeder I got from Walmart. It is very similar to this but no bubbles:

{{gwi:44744}}

problem is that the chickens poop in the water and make a mess of it. The waterer is sitting on the ground, I tried putting it on a block of wood ad the same thing. What do you guys use for water and how do you keep it clean?

last problem is with snacks...

I put in a cob of corn whole because I heard chickens love that. they have not touched it. I put a tomatoe in there yesterday. I poked a hole in it and exposed some of the tomatoe meat. they poked at it bt to my disappointment today I checked and they did not eat it either. what are some good treats for the chickens? I thought they ate just about anything! Not mines!

Okay thats all the problems for now. I am sure more will crop up later.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner