SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

Peach varieties

dennis1983
14 years ago

Hi

I have been looking peach varieties information in internet. Looking describtions of peach varieties about peach taste, hardiness, when fruit ripens, where it is grown. Do you grow them, or have you ate any of them? When it ripens on your place? Generally information about those peach varieties. I found one place which sells peach trees and list peach varieties.

First update, i am now zone 6 because we had colder winter than 2008, but warmer summer.

I have collected information in internet about peach varieties, which are available in that place.

First i found this paper from internet. It is from Alabama, U.S.A. and is named " Performance of peach and nectarine in the gulf coast area of alabama". It has information about peach varieties. You need Adobe Acrobat reader to read it as it is in PDF format. Here is the link :

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/communications/bulletins/bull636peach.pdf

I also found this paper and it is named " Peach cultivar performance". It is survey from commercial peach growers. Here is the link :

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ho/ho6/ho6.htm

Here is paper from Arkansas and it is named " Early Performance of Peach Cultivars in Southwest Arkansas." It has yild amount of peach varieties. Here is the link :

http://arkansasagnews.uark.edu/520-2.pdf

Here is paper which list yields peach tree varieties in greece. Here is the link :

http://www.cazv.cz/attachments/HS_112-117.pdf

Here is paper which list peach tree varieties yields. Here is the link :

http://www.cazv.cz/2003/2002/zahr1_02/Tsipouridis.pdf

I have found this list about brown rot resistance about varieties. Here is the link :

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/tables/brownrotsus.html

I have found following describtion about Spring crest peach variety :

"A larger peach, Spring Crest ripens in the first week of December and is a great way to open the season. If you're not a fan of peach fuzz, this is the one for you - beautiful colour and very little fuzz - a lovely peach to handle. "

First i thinked how it said great way to open the season in december, but i saw this came from New Zealand which is in southern hemisphere and have opposite seasons.

I have used english internet sites to get information, but also italy internet sites to get peach variety information. I have tried translate italy language to english with encyclopedia but without known language grammar, it is little hard. So i used Google translate to get the translate, which worked quite good altought i needed guess few words what they would mean in english.

Here is translations which i have so far got. I got information from many internet site, so they are not form same places.

Do you have have any information about those varieties? Yes i have seen english internet site describtion also, but have not writen them right now down (Many from U.S.A.). I can be back on that one too, but right now i have no time as writing this. I put - on last line of text that you see i have changed source. I think i might have been got little disorganized that different source thing, as i have feeling i got mixed 2 source at the beginning of that list (I meant 1 source might actually have been from 2 sources.).

Cardinal

Fruit of medium size, yellow skin covered extensively in red, juicy pulp, not outstanding. Plant that resists the cold. It ripens in late June. Yellow paste

Springcrest

Springcrest peach spread very quickly in our country, displacing nearly all of the very early maturing varieties. The fruits are large and attractive appearance.

RIPENING FRUITS

The fruits ripen from early June. -

LATIN NAME

Variety Prunus persica Springcrest

PLANT ORIGIN

Intersection of American origin, with tree characterized by high force and high productivity and constant.

FOOD USE

The fruit is attractive and has a small average size (average weight of 120 grams), spherical shape.

The skin is yellow background with extensive sovraccolorazione bright-red marbled

The flesh is yellow often tinged with red, very firm, slightly sour flavor.

Excellent for fresh consumption, but also intended to syrup or processed products.

CULTIVATION

Maturation is early and the harvest is done manually in the fourth week of June.

NOTES

The fruit has a high water content as well as pectin, sugars, minerals and vitamins including A and C.

Has tonic properties, refreshing, stimulating activity in the stomach, vermifuge, refreshing, purifying due to an 'action diuretic and mildly laxative especially when eaten dried.

Although the seed has a look similar to almond contains toxins and therefore should not be totally consumed. -

Species: Peach (Prunus Persica) - Fishing yellow paste

Clones available: 335 AINCAV

Features: Springcrest is a very good early cultivars, which has good vigor and productivity. The needs in cold medium.

Flowering time: I - II week of March (early).

Pollination: No.

Harvest: III week of June - I ° decade of July (- 17 Redhaven).

Fruit: Springcrest presents the fruits of medium size and small size (average weight 120 g) fully colored red. The pulp is yellow and often tinged with red apex, maturity and seed stands and soda.

Use of fruit: fresh consumption.

Shelf Life: Short.

Resistance to adversity: Survives well to handling and transport over long distances. Sometimes the presence of boxes.

Area dedicated to planting: Suitable to different environments.

Source: U.S.A. -

Springcrest I ° - II ° decade June

Peach in size medium. Oblate shape. Peel yellow over colored for 70-80% of red fuzz. Pulp yellow, texture medium high.

Origin: made in Georgia, USA.

Shaft :

vigorous and productive.

Fruit :

medium, spherical, intensely and extensively colored red. Yellow flesh, very firm, slightly sour flavor.

Aging :

24 days before "Redhaven.

Tree vigorous and productive. Fruit medium, spherical, intensely and extensively colored red. Yellow flesh, very firm, slightly sour flavor. Remains the most interesting of his era. June 15

Overall rating :

remains the most interesting of his era. -

Springcrest

Fruits average skin color is completely red. Juicy flesh, a little sour. It ripens in mid-June. -

Springtime

Tree vigorous and productive. Fruit small, greenish white. White pulp, adherent, rather fibrous, low texture, flavor medium. June 10 -

Baby Gold

Tree vigorous and very productive. Fruit is large, roundish, yellow flesh is firm, excellent flavor.

RIPENING FRUITS

The fruits ripen from mid-July. -

High plant vigor and high productivity. Result of large caliber. Pale yellow skin with an additional red for about half of the surface.

Fruit very large. Matures to September 15

Baby Gold 6

Fruits of exceptional, round shape, pulp excellent. Ripening late July.

Baby Gold 7

I ° - II ° decade in August

Big yellow peel over colored for 10% surface of red color. Orange-yellow flesh.

Baby Gold 9

III August - II decade September

Cling peach size large, light yellow skin over colored for about 20% of the surface. Chopped yellow orange.

Good productivity, shape, size and organoleptic characteristics, sensitive to cascola, excellent syrups. Ripening late August-early September.

Red Haven

Fruits of medium size-large, globular or oval, with deep red skin. Flesh yellow, firm, tasty and juicy, just adhering to the core when ripe.

RIPENING FRUITS

The fruits ripen from the third decade of July. -

Fruits of medium size, yellow skin with red blotches and streaks. The pulp is clearly tinged with red around the core, consistent, semispiccagnola. Plant is very resistant to cold. It ripens in late July. Yellow paste

Origin: American, obtained from S. Johnston nel Michigan. Johnston, Michigan.

Shaft :

vigorous and very productive, resistant to cold. -

Fruit :

medium large, round elliptical, widely covered in bright red, rather tomentosa. Light yellow flesh with red pigment, consistent, clear and of excellent flavor.

Agining :

July 15-25 North, 5-10 July to Center, 1-5 July to South (Italy)

Overall rating :

still valued for its fruit quality and hardiness of the plant. -

Tree vigorous and very productive, resistant to cold. Fruit medium large, round elliptical, widely covered in bright red, rather tomentosa. Light yellow flesh with red pigment, consistent, clear and of excellent flavor. Still valued for its fruit quality and hardiness of the plant. July 10 -

Red Haven

The fruit is large, yellow, with overlying red. Pulp fragrant and sweet. Ripening mid-July.

Glohaven

Fruited uniform, deep yellow suffused with red.

Flesh is firm, light yellow.

RIPENING FRUITS

The fruits ripen from late August. -

It ripens in early August. Yellow paste

Original: old varieties obtained from S. Johnston Michigan, USA

Shaft :

vigorous and productive; sensitive to minimum temperature in winter.

Fruit :

large, spherical, bright red on a yellow greenish. Yellow flesh, fairly firm, good flavor, stands out.

Aging :

10 days after "Redhaven".

Overall rating :

regardless of the color of the skin a little 'clearer than today's standards is still an interesting variety for the size and quality of fruit. -

Tree vigorous and productive fruit is large, spherical, bright red on a yellow greenish. Yellow flesh, fairly firm, good flavor, stands out. Despite the color of the skin a little 'clearer than today's standards is still an interesting variety for the size and quality of fruit. July 20 -

Glohaven

Excellent productivity, fruit very large and colorful. Ripening late July.

Fayette

Fruit large, spherical, well-colored red on yellow, firm flesh, bright yellow, pleasant, excellent resistance to handling.

RIPENING FRUITS

The fruits ripen from late August. -

Species: Peach (Prunus persica) - Fishing with yellow flesh.

Features: Fayette is a cultivar of high vigor, open doors, with high productivity and constant.

Flowering time: second week of March (medium early).

Pollination: No.

Harvest: second week of August (+ 30 Redhaven).

Fruit: Fayette has large fruit (average weight 200 g), skin yellow with an additional faded red for 50 - 70% of the surface. The pulp is yellow, has a high consistency and is outstanding.

Use of fruit: fresh consumption.

Shelf Life: Short.

Resistance to adversity: Low. Resists well to handling and transport.

Area dedicated to planting: plains, hills.

Source: U.S.A. (obtained Weinberger - California from a cross' Fay Elberta 'x' FV 89-14). -

The plant is of medium development, produces fruit of good size, with the skin yellow with red spots. The flesh is yellow and pleasantly scented, very firm and adapted to handling. It ripens in late August. -

Fruit large, spherical, red on yellow with deep yellow flesh is firm, to taste pleasant. Excellent resistance to handling. Second week of August. Yellow paste

Source :

Clone 3504IN CAV VIRUS-FREE

Source: California, obtained several years ago by J. Weinberger. Weinberger.

Shaft :

of robust medium-high, exceptionally productive.

Fruit :

Big, round, moderately tomentose, light red matt on 50% of the surface. Light yellow flesh, high consistency, outstanding, quality medium-high.

Aging :

28 days after "Redhaven" clone virus-free, 32 days later, the standard material.

Overall rating :

is still one of the most valuable variety of his era, high and constant productivity and high fruit size despite a bit immoderate 'color. Virus-free plants ripen earlier. -

Of robust medium-high, exceptionally productive. Fruit large, round, moderately tomentose, light red opaque. Light yellow flesh, high consistency, outstanding, quality medium-high. It 'still one of the most valuable variety of his era, high and constant productivity and high fruit size despite a bit immoderate' color. August 10 -

Fruit large, spherical, golden yellow, spotted with red. Perfumed flesh of excellent quality. Excellent resistance to manipulation, stands out. Maturation second decade of August.

Cresthaven

It ripens in early August. Yellow paste

Source :

Clone CAV

VIRUS FREE

Origin: American, obtained in South Haven, Michigan.

Shaft :

vigorous and generally productive.

Fruit :

Big, round, widely fuzzy or streaked with red on a yellow background, not much tomentosa. Yellow flesh, medium large, excellent flavor.

Aging:

30 days after "Redhaven".

Overall rating :

The size and excellent taste; recently presented deficiency in color and texture, as well as productivity inconsistent, however, defects are no longer present in plants originated from virus-free material. -

Tree vigorous and generally productive. Fruit large, round, widely fuzzy or streaked with red on a yellow background, not much tomentosa. Yellow flesh, medium large, excellent flavor. The size is good but the taste sometimes erratic productivity August 10

Dixired

Fruits of medium size, yellow, more or less stained with red. The flesh is streaked with red near the skin. Plant sensitive to cold. It ripens in July. Yellow paste

Orginal: American.

Shaft :

of medium vigor not always productive.

Fruit :

medium-large, oval, bright red marbled, yellow flesh, firm, good flavor

Aging :

10 days before "Redhaven".

Overall rating :

variety of limited interest to certain areas of the city center. -

Of medium vigor not always productive. Fruit medium - large, oval, bright red marbled, yellow flesh, firm, good flavor. Variety of limited interest to certain areas of the Center. June 30

Sorry got little hurry of writing this, so this might not looking so good.

Comments (18)

• Scott F Smith
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dennis, I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly. There are countless sources of variety descriptions. Probably the most complete modern book I have seen is Okie's book, "Handbook of Peach and Nectarine Varieties". It is pretty hard to find and I have never seen it on the Internet, but it describes all of the modern varieties available in the US.

Scott

• eskota
    14 years ago

One you'll find in any good library- "Register of new fruit and nut varieties" Brooks and Olmo- is the standard reference. American Society for Horticultural Science publishes it.

• Related Discussions

What is the best peach variety for zone 8b?

Q

Comments (0)
    I am in central FL and am wondering what would be a good choice for a freestone (if possible) Peach. I bought a Florida king last season, but so far it does not seem to be doing all that well. It put out a couple blossoms in the spring but nothing came of it. It is just recently in the past month or so starting to really put out good leaf growth. Also, what is recommended for spraying. When buying my tree I was not really aware of all the spraying that is recommended. I have a friend that bought a house with a mature peach tree that he does nothing to. No spraying, watering, fertilizing, nothing and it produces an incredible amount of great tasting fruit. Unfortunately he does not know the variety. Is there any ay to root a cutting of his peach? Does air rooting work on peaches? Thanks for any help.
    ...See More

Peach variety for mild summer climate

Q

Comments (3)
    Try Arctic Star Nectarines or any of the Dave Wilson low acid Nectarines or Peaches. This start with low acid, so don't need all the heat to become sweet. I grow Arctic Star Nectarine and Babcock Peaches and they are super sweet. I am in the San Mateo Hills up by 280 and 92. We're cooler than you in Palo Alto.
    ...See More

which dwarf peach variety should I grow?

Q

Comments (10)
    How dwarf is dwarf? Most peaches are rather small trees - somewhere in the 10-15' range with maturity. 'Frost' and Oregon Curl Free' are rated highly for this area as they do not require a lot of heat to produce good crops and both tend to be very disease resistant. The true dwarfs - selections like 'Bonanza', 'Honey Babe' and 'Pix Zee' (5-6') - are grown more as ornamentals here. Unlikely to develop good crops and subject to the typical peach disease issues. Lovely floral display, however.
    ...See More

Peach varieties Redskin vs Loring

Q

Comments (2)
    I know nothing about redskin. But Lorings are the best I have ever tasted. I have not grown them, as they need a bit more chill than San Antonio normally has. I bought the ones I ate and froze in Stonewall. They also were huge peaches. Very yummy.
    ...See More
  • monrovia
    14 years ago

I am living in Southern California and have one peach tree. Only last year we started having peaches. They are very small and not very sweet. Now the tree is bare and we have a lot of spindly branches at a very full top. Should we prune this tree??

• jellyman
    14 years ago

Dennis:

You must have a very strong desire to share, or it is a particularly long, cold winter in Finland. I can't imagine how much time you must devote to producing one of your blockbusters on fruits that do not even produce very well where you live. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt, so keep up the good work, I guess.

For Monrovia:
    A crowded top is not a very good shape for a peach tree. Ideally, a peach tree has an open center with spreading scaffolds to allow sunlight to directly strike the producing branches and especially the fruits themselves. If your lower branches are not spread, spread them, and prune out busy growth in the center of the tree. Small, sour peaches can be the result of insufficient light penetration, but peaches must also be heavily thinned to achieve full size and quality. I thin off over 90% of the hundreds of peaches that set on my trees, selecting the largest, fastest-growing, undamaged fruits for retention. Final spacing of peaches should be a minimum of 6 inches apart, though 8 inches is better. Overloaded peach trees often suffer broken branches that thinning can easily prevent.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Hi jellyman,

Wow! 90% is a lot. When exactly is the best time to thin them out?

Sandra

• jellyman
    14 years ago

Sandra:

The time to thin peaches is when you can identify the fastest-growing, best located little fruits, that are undamaged by any of the early insects or early mildews. This might be anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks from shuck split.

This recipe is for people who want to grow large, beautiful, full-flavored peaches. It's for the best, not the most, and it assumes you have a heavy fruit set, as many peach trees do.

Actually, my thinning may be a little higher than 90%. When I am finished with a tree, the ground is covered with baby peaches.

• olpea
    14 years ago

Sandra,

I've no firsthand experience in lack of chill because it's not an issue in the Midwest, but no one has mentioned the problem of inadequate chill hours as a possible problem. I've no idea how many chill hours accumulate in southern CA, but I suspect it's not much. Do you have a low chill peach suited to south CA? The symptoms sorta sound like inadequate chill:

-Foliation at the top of the canopy only.
    -Small fruit.
    -Reduced fruit quality because there are not enough leaves to support the fruit load.

Of course, as Don points out these same symptoms can be caused by inadequate thinning and pruning, but I thought I'd mention chill as something to consider.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Does this thinning approach applies to all fruit trees? I also have apples, pears, Asian pears and plums. I just purchased them so don't expect fruits for a season or two but it's never too early to learn. :)

olpea,

monrovia was the one asking about his/her peach trees. I was just budding in for further clarification on jellyman's comments. I did do a lot of research prior to purchasing my fruit trees so they are all low chill varieties (all under 450 hours). Good observation though...

Sandra

• jellyman
    14 years ago

Sandra:

I thin all apples to one per cluster, and occasionally remove all fruits from a cluster when two clusters are very close together. Asian pears are notorious oversetters, and if you don't thin off more than 90% you will have either small AP's or broken branches, or both. Some growers snip off fruiting spurs to reduce fruit set on AP's.

Japanese plums usually overset heavily too, and commercial growers grab gobs of small plums and pull them off to thin them. I am more delicate about my plum thinning since I am not guided by commercial labor constraints, but the results are about the same. European plums and pears may require substantially less thinning, but the same basic principles apply.

Obviously, very young trees just beginning to bear will require much less thinning. But when they reach full production, you will have to do it or you may be disappointed in fruit size and quality.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Scottfsmith

Good that you said you are not sure what i am looking for. Sorry if i wrote it little hard way it. I have found shop which sell peaches. Red heaven was variety as i said earlier. So i started to look information about peach varieties. We here Finland do not have a lot of peach varieties available, i think this is quite new thing this Peach growing here. I have found shop in Italy which sells peach trees. In it internet site it says any plant anywhere on title and registration page has place to choose country. So i think they might ship it to here. On that site i saw peach varieties. Glohaven, Redhaven, Cardinal, Babygold 6, Springcrest, Springtime varieties was listed which are from U.S.A. (Many of them). Those varieties which i posted describtions above. So i did to search peach variety describtions english and then also italy language, which i translated to english using Google translate. I tried to get information about them, where they grow, how hardy they are, what they taste, when they bloom, oh and yes maturity timeline. Not much information available from mine country, but something. I asked some way does someone have own growing experiences. I have seen some post here about people growing peaches, i remember your old variety post, one people from Colorado asking peach varieties, i think she onemilehighgirl, sorry if i wrote id wrong (I think that came from woman) has Cresthaven peach and also that North Dakota people having peaches, altought he, Troman1973 id if i do not remember wrong last time i remember thought moving into blueberries. I found it hard to find some variety describtion on internet, especially Cardinal. Frost is little easier, but some hard finding there too. Cardinal variety From Georgia U.S.A. if i remember right. But found this on it :

Cardinal medium fruit with bright red over yellow skin; flesh is yellow, firm with a melting texture; freestone from Georgia. Early midseason harvest.

Springtime is white flesh peach. As i said i haven't tasted white flesh peach so i asked what is taste like. I have found now on internet they are sweet.

Yellow flesh are more acidic. Can you tell me what "acidic" exactly mean? Is that same kind of flavor than red currants? Sour, no i think. What kind of acidicidy they are referring?

Here is some peach variety describtions :

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2007/06/peach_varieties_there_are_more.html

I looked that Italy site, because they have more peach varieties, which are not available (I think so) here.

Springtime, Springcrest varieties seems to be earlier than Red haven. I think it might cost more to buy trees from Italy, but if there is some good peach varieties it might be worth a try. Other choice would be just stay here and buy peach here.

What you think about Peach hardiness? I have seen USDA zones and chilling units on internet. I have read that post on peaches here in Gardenweb, i think it make sense many ways. I have feeling that it is important peach to have enough time to ripens fruits and hardening to winter. As that post says hardiness is more than zone.

Springcrest has 650 chilling units requirement and i have seen it to grow on the following places :

Alto, Georgia, U.S.A (Ripens 5.6.-12.6. when i wrote that down, but looks like this information is no longer available.) .
    Brentwood, California, U.S.A.

Also saw picture from Australia. This variety is for sell in New Zealand.

I found Springcrest also to be in recommendations list in Georgia peach and nectarines for home use in different Georgia zones. Zones 4 and 5 says page, which is southern Georgia, U.S.A. for example Tifton, Geogia U.S.A.

Here is the link :

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C741-W.HTMl

Cresthaven was for zone 1,2,3 on the list.

So looks like things are not as simply. Above i mentioned just that there is many things to consider, if you have something lack, maybe you can justify it by another thing.

What firmness means in peaches?

http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fruits/gapeach/varieties.html

Says Springcrest is high firmness. I think it means peach do not go soft and holds it's form good way. Did i got it right?

Correction to mine message, i wrote New Zealand has opposite season (Altought i do not see at this moment orginal message.), i meant opposite season compared northern hemishphere. New Zealand is located in southern hermishphere.

Thanks of book name but i looked in it google and you seemed to be quite right about that it is hard to find.

Eskota hi

Thanks of book name. I looked little bit in it and found 1 peach variety describtion.

• jim123
    14 years ago

For Monrovia:

Most peach varieties set fruit on one to four year old wood. You may very well need pruning to encourage more new wood, not just what is at the top of the tree.

To encourage new wood, you need to remove about 1/4 of last years new wood when you prune. You should see some results the next season, but it will be better still in two or three seasons.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

Finland!
    Not exactly good Peach growing country. I'd opt for something like Black Currants and Raspberries up there, and possibly some early ripe Apples, but Peaches?
    Of course, I try to grow some very marginal plants in my garden too, and so if you have the urge, I would check for a real cold hardy one like Reliance Peach.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi

I need to fix little bit mine above message. I wrote one word to my message and after i tried to send the message, i got message was not posted. Actually it was not those words, in case you think of it but it prevented me to post that message. So i removed that text, so yes if you have feeling is something missing on my message, yes there is missing text because it message didn't went throught with it.

I have found on internet in Czech Springcrest peach has beared fruit every year. That site put it on Zone 5 plant.

One site in internet put Springcrest zone 4 plant.

Mine point above was Springcrest peach seems worked there, while having only 650 chill units requirement. I think early ripeness might have played role there.

Hi Boizeau, are you screaming there? As you have ! mark in your text. You said "not exactly peach growing country". Well that depends how you take it. Do you mean people growing peaches or commercial growing peaches? I have read we are trying to grow peaches here. You say "I'd opt for something like Black Currants and Raspberries up there, and possibly some early ripe Apples, but Peaches?" Looks like you haven't read mine previous messages. Well no problem i can tell you. We have black currant already in our garden, as well as we have raspberries and apple tree. Also i have said earlier mine messages i have read on internet one peach variety has survived winter here. I think it might be nice to grow peach tree. As i posted above people from North Dakota, U.S.A. also tried grow peaches. So if you grow marginal plant in your garden, why i can't too? Why you (many) are so negative about this. Thanks of the link, i think i might have been checed that internet site.

• frugalgardener
    14 years ago

Hello Dennis,
    You are doing a great job translating. You understand the meaning of "firmness" very well. I think "acidic" is like orange juice, sweet but with a little sour taste, too.

Don't worry about Boizeau. He might think Finland is buried in snow all year long. ;)

Growing peaches is wonderful. Standing in the sun eating a ripe peach off the tree is a heavenly treat.

Do not worry about chill hours as much as hardiness. Hardiness is important - I think you will have enough chill hours for all peach trees.

I have a Redhaven peach tree from Cummins Nursery. It was recommended for my cold weather (zone 5). Any peach with "haven" as part of the name was developed to take cold weather as they were developed in Michigan. It is a wonderful peach and you cannot go wrong starting with a Redhaven peach. It is sweet and flavorful and firm to pick but you will have juice running down your chin when you eat it ripe off the tree. Much better tasting than store bought peaches.
    My Redhaven ripens in August here in Michigan in Zone 5. My other peach is a Madison and it ripens a month later in Sept. It tastes good also but did not produce as well or taste as good as the Redhaven.

I have a Mericrest nectarine that also produces delicious fruit. It ripens just after the Redhaven peach.

These are my 2 favorite fruit trees in my garden.
    sam

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Frugalgardener thanks of saying i did great job of translating. Thanks of explaining sour word.

Correction i wrote "Thanks of the link, i think i might have been checed that internet site." that should have been Thanks of the link, i think i might have been checked that internet site. Forgot k character, small mistake i know, but wanted to fix it.

Finland is not buried snow all year. Winter has snow, but summer do not have snow, at least here southern Finland.

Thanks of encouragament that peaches taste good.

I think you are right about hardiness, that it is important.

You said you have Redhaven peach and it was recommended your cold weather (Zone 5). I have been thinking this way zone do not tell whole part of story. I think if peaches have enough time to ripen and tree to harden to winter, it can probably handle the cold (To some point). So i would think about growing season as well as zone. You have probably warm summer and growing season which allow your peach tree to ripen fruits and prepare for winter (To get ready for winter). Here Gardenweb was article about growing peaches, which said hardening is much more than lowest average temperature and it says " Often the zone 5 rating reflects a trees inability to resist re-hardening in a warm spell when the weather turns cold again". Also said " Tender trees can survive severe cold, often colder than they are rated for, if they remain in deep dormancy". This messages came from zone 4.

Thanks of Redhaven peach describtion.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

Dennis:

First, I'm sorry if this is repeating, but this is a pretty long thread from your original question.

Have you checked out Raintree's trees, link below? They have several varieties from Canada, and those would be your best choice, I would think.

Nobody has mentioned this, but I think the most difficult thing would be: Where are you going to buy these trees? I would think it would be hard to find places who will ship to Finland, and if your local nurseries had them, you would already know which varieties would grow in your area and you wouldn't be posting here.

Carla in Sac

• olpea
    14 years ago

Dennis,

As I recall from some of your other posts, your winter temperatures were really not that cold. If I remember correctly, minimum winter temperatures in southern Finland were some thing like minus 10F. If that's the case, you'll have no problems growing peaches. Some peach varieties can take temperatures down to minus 20F. Although there are isolated cases of peaches tolerating temperatures colder than minus 20F, it's a bit much to expect regular cropping, or tree survival below minus 20F.

Being that far north, I can't imagine you'd have any problems meeting the chill requirements of any peaches.

I agree with Sam. Redhaven is an excellent mid-season peach and should do well for you.