SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rtees_garden

A question about chill hours and grafting.

rtees_garden
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am usually over at the tropical fruit forum, but I have a cherry question that someone might be able to help me out with.

I moved into a house last winter that had a cherry tree planted in the back yard. It appears healthy enough, but does not break dormancy until late april or so, and I do not think that it is one of the two new low chill cherries that Dave Wilson has available.

I live in coastal San Diego, and will usually get only 50 - 200 chill hours in a year.

Anyway, last winter I purchased a Royal Lee and a Minnie Royal cherry so that I could try to top work these two low chill varieties onto the existing tree.

My question is what effect will a high chill "interstem" (for lack of a better term) have on the success of this graft? Is it the budwood that determines when enough chill has been reached, or will the "trunk" of this tree need to get its requisite chill before the sap will flow and the tree will "wake up"

I guess in a nutshell I am wondering if I should graft to this established plant or just plant one of the low chill varieties I purchased and graft the other variety to that.

Thanks,

Richard

Comment (1)