SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

How to get CO2 into fruit juice?

Konrad___far_north
11 years ago

I have been searching and posted over in beverage/wine/harvest without any help. Not much activity over there!

So, I was wondering if any of you have more of a insight what the process is when carbonating fruit juices.

This is what I have done so far.
Fill apple or cherry juice into 50L high pressure kegs, when fermenting naturally, the pressure will go very high, at around 100PSI it will stop fermenting and juice finishes as about half sweet. When letting the juice out at the tap on bottom it comes out as foam, then settles and juice is flat, without much CO2.

Yesterday I was experimenting with a direct hook up into plastic 2L pop bottle using hose and valve, filled bottle about 1/2 full, under pressure I shook it vigorously, ...the idea behind this is so CO2 can absorb into the juice. It worked pretty good, the juice actually sparkled a little and taste was better.
Still, think I can improve on this, I need to cool the juice to near freezing...not a problem in our cold north, next, I would want to try mixing in about 1/3 water,...been reading that water can absorb CO2 the best.

And, or...getting, buy real CO2 in a bottle and try, I'm not sure if CO2 in the keg from fermenting is the same as what you buy in bottles.

Does anybody has the know how in getting CO2 into fruit drinks?

I think, most drinks you buy are watered down allot, which can hold much more CO2 then pure juice.

Comments (13)