SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vikingkirken

Can anyone help me figure out this onion?

vikingkirken
14 years ago

I threw scraps from a store-bought yellow or sweet onion into my compost heap, and lo and behold, the root sprouted... so I transplanted the new onion into my garden, just to see what would happen. Well, it is thriving. What I can't figure out is WHAT kind of onion it is. It's multiplying rapidly--it's already split into six new onions, each an inch or more in diameter. I would have thought maybe it was a potato onion, but I didn't think those got as big as typical store onions. It's also sprawling a lot more than my potato onions, but maybe that's because it was planted right at the surface rather than a couple inches deep?

Can anybody give me any ideas? I'd love to try to keep this one going, but I don't know anything about it... so I don't know whether to leave it in the ground and treat it like a "perennial" onion clump, dig it up at harvest time and then replant in the spring, or what... I don't even know if it would store well. I would hate to lose such an interesting and obviously productive plant!

Thanks!

Lori

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH