SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njcher

Forcing bulbs is a good value for winter flowers

njcher
20 years ago

I planted some fritillaria in the ground a few weeks ago but just yesteday began potting up bulbs for forcing during the winter. To my mind, you can't go wrong with this. Here's the cost breakdown:

--one 12" bulb pot of purple tulips, pink tulips, a couple hycinth and some Grecian wildflower: at most, $6. Several 12" bulb pots of all pink or all purple tulips. $3.50 each.

--several 6" bulb pots of tulips--most were less than $2 each for the bulbs, and I stuffed them full of bulbs. Not an inch to spare.

--a hanging pot of muscari. Again, $2.

Around here a pot of bulbs rarely goes for less than $6 at the bargain places so I think this is a good savings. I have many bags more of bulbs but I don't want them all coming up at the same time so I am potting them up on subsequent weekends.

One year I did a pot with about four layers of bulbs. There were tulips, hyacinths, croci and daffodils. It bloomed for a full 10 weeks and did so for two years but after that it was kaput. I have some pics, in case anyone wants to see them.

This year I put in around 100 paperwhites in my raised beds after they bloomed early winter and spring. I am anxious to see what they will do this year.

Beverley Nichols writes frequently about how to have flowers throughout the winter. In one of his books, he has a chapter or two about outdoor winter-bloomers.

Another thing I am doing is planning for a nice winter display in my front garden. I have put some grasses out there and have plans to move a corkscrew willow there in a pot. This, combined with the heads of the black-eyed susans, should make for an interesting winter garden.

Cher

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals