SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catman529

Cucumber female blossoms out, but no more males to pollinate...?

catman529
14 years ago

I started some Spacemaster cukes in a container indoors about a month before last frost. I moved them outside and they started blooming like crazy...tons of male flowers, one or two females.

I was told that this is normal, the females will come in later. They did come in later, and now I've got tons of females and only one or two males. I have had to pollinate many of those females with pollen from other cucumber plants that were direct-sowed after the last frost.

So my concern is about the direct-sown cukes. Right now they are just beginning to produce their abundance of male blossoms, but I am concerned that they, too, will stop producing males when the abundance of females come out.

The two main differences between the first and second batch of cucumber plants are -

1) Early-sown plants have been grown in a container of Miracle-Gro their entire life, and were started under fluorescent

2) Late-sown plants were direct-sown into the ground after the last frost. They look healthier so far, but I am concerned about the production.

Can I get any advice on this? I don't want to end up with my main crop (direct-sown plants) not getting pollinated due to a lack of male flowers when the females start to come out.

Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County